UA investigates bomb threat

UPDATE, 6:43 p.m.

All University activities and classes resumed as regularly scheduled at 6 p.m.

Police and K-9 crews responded to the bomb threat beginning around 3 p.m., and searched various buildings and structures on campus.

Among the buildings searched were:

–       The Ferguson Center

–       Amelia Gayle Gorgas Library and its surroundings

–       The Little Roundhouse

–       Oliver-Barnard Hall

–       Mary Burke Hall

–       Lloyd Hall

–       Shelby Hall

–       Clark Hall

–       Denny Chimes

–       Tuomey Hall

Officers carrying flashlights also searched trash cans, bushes and other structures on the Quad.

Police also brought a bomb-sniffing dog to search the inside of Denny Chimes, temporarily delaying a memorial service taking place on the Quad.

UPDATE, 4:50 p.m.

A second email from the University stated that investigators have not discovered a credible threat. However, the following buildings should be avoided between 5 p.m. and 6 p.m.

• Biology • Shelby • Science and Engineering • Ferguson • Burke East and West • Bryant Hall • Lakeside Dining • Fraternity and sorority houses

The Student Recreation Center has been deemed safe and is open during the 5-6 p.m. timeframe.

Original story, 3:30 p.m.

UA officials are currently investigating an unverified report of a bomb threat on campus, according to an email sent out by UA News to all students, faculty and staff. Search teams are currently on campus. People on campus should report any suspicious packages or unusual situations to UAPD at 205-348-5454.

“Students should continue with their regular schedules,” University spokeswoman Cathy Andreen said. “You will be notified if there is a need to take action or classes are cancelled.”

The Crimson White will have more information as the story develops.