Debate over gun control continues

As the freshly energized debate over allowing firearms on college campuses is brought back into the spotlight by the actions of state legislatures across the country, it is important to remember the event that served as its impetus.

The Virginia Tech massacre was the worst killing spree in American history. Colin Goddard survived. He was shot four times by Seung-Hui Cho, who killed 32 people and wounded 16 others in the 2007 rampage.

“It was my fourth year,” recounts Goddard in a phone interview from his Washington D.C. office. “I showed up late to French class. A few minutes later, we heard some banging noises outside our room, but we didn’t think it was any cause for alarm because there had been construction on the building next door all semester. When they got a lot closer and a lot louder, then we realized that maybe this is not construction.

“Out of the 17 people in my French class, I am one of seven to have survived,” continued Goddard, now the assistant director of legislative affairs for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. “I believe I was a victim of this crime because of a missing piece in our criminal background check system. That is why we need laws in place to make it difficult for dangerous people to obtain dangerous weapons.”

In Alabama, it is legal to carry a concealed firearm, but the University of Alabama does not allow them or any other type of weapon on campus as pursuant to its code of conduct.

“Possession of firearms, ammunition and weapons by students is not allowed on campus,” the code reads. “The University of Alabama Police Department will register and store guns for students.”

However, John Lott, a Fox News contributor and author of the bestselling book “More Guns, Less Crime,” said he believes students should be allowed to carry a firearm on campus.

“Not only does the overwhelming research on right-to-carry laws show that letting citizens defend themselves reduces violent crime, but schools that have allowed permitted concealed handguns have seen drops in crime there also,” Lott said. “No gun ban around the world has produced a drop in murder rates. Gun-free zones are a magnet for crimes of all kinds. In addition, even the strictest gun regulations or bans haven’t stopped multiple victim public shootings from occurring.”

In Alabama, a person must obtain a pistol permit at their local county sheriff’s office. The sheriff has the discretion to run a background check, although it is not required. If the application is accepted, the permit is good for a year.

David Shamp, the Alabama director for Students for Concealed Carry On Campus and an Auburn University student, said firearms make all humans equal.

“I support Concealed Carry on Campus because I know that peoples’ option to self-defense shouldn’t end the moment they step on a public college campus,” he explained.

Lott agrees with Shamp’s views and said he believes anti-gun groups have misrepresented the debate in regards to danger.

“71 college campuses allow students with permits to carry concealed handguns, and many more let faculty carry, some for over a decade,” Lott said. “But none, absolutely none of these schools have experienced the type of harm predicted by opponents.”

But Richard Fording, chair of the political science department at the University, said allowing guns on campus would create a negative learning environment.

“I understand why some students support this, but I think many faculty would feel very uncomfortable with it,” Fording said. “I think faculty and students alike would feel more inhibited on campus, and this is not the type of atmosphere we want to promote on a major university campus.”

Fording said if guns were allowed on campus, teachers would be less likely to engage in discussions over controversial and emotional issues, and might even fear upsetting students by giving them failing grades.

Lott, however, said he thinks Fording’s fear is unfounded.

“Despite predictions about innocent blood being shed, no right-to-carry state has even held legislative hearings about rescinding the law,” Lott said. “Just as with these other places, the debate over letting permitted concealed handguns on college campuses will quickly be forgotten.”

However, this year alone, at least 14 states have introduced 35 bills that would allow students and faculty to carry concealed weapons on college campuses and loosen restrictions on gun bans, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures.

While many talk about this issue, Goddard has lived it over and over again in his mind for four years.

“I have thought about that day transpiring every which way, from me saving the day, to me being killed.” Goddard said. “The sooner that I can understand what happened, the sooner I can move forward.”