Fitterer talks volleyball, life

When you think of Alabama volleyball, you think of Kayla Fitterer. After a solid 2010 season, Fitterer is out to prove she is one of the top players in the Southeastern Conference. Her combination of size, power and finesse make her the prototypical outside hitter. In fact, head coach Ed Allen said, “She’s one of our most athletic kids and someone we’re going to depend on a lot offensively.” On her 20th birthday, Fitterer talked with me about balancing her life and plans after volleyball.

CW: You’re from Illinois. Talk about what it was like growing up in the Midwest and then moving down South.

KF: I grew up in Seattle, then I moved to Southern Illinois my freshman year [of high school]. Now, I live in Chicago, and we’ve been there for about a year. Coming down here after living in Seattle and St. Louis, Alabama is totally different. It’s a small town, and I’m used to bigger cities, but I like it here. Different people, different food, and it seems like the people are nicer down here.

CW: As a student athlete, it seems like you guys are always busy. How do you balance everything that you have going on?

KF: My dad has always stressed that school comes first, then volleyball. I try to balance everything so that I have time for school, volleyball and to socialize. I write everything in my planner. I get school done, then I get volleyball done, and sometimes I find time to do regular things like all college students.

CW: What made you choose marketing as your major?

KF: I wanted a business degree, but I really don’t know what I want to do. I was thinking about doing fashion merchandising and buying. I’m also thinking about doing something in sports, like working for a professional sports team, maybe in Chicago. I’m still trying to figure out what I want to do.

CW: Outside of volleyball, do you have a lot of friends on campus?

KF: Most of my friends outside of volleyball are other athletes. Being in Bryant and study hall, you meet a lot of athletes.

CW: So, what do you for fun?

KF: I love to go shopping. Some of the other girls and I get together, shop and do other normal things when we’re not playing volleyball.

CW: Does your coach try to limit your shopping so you don’t spend all of your money?

KF: He actually likes to shop as well. He was like, ‘If we win Friday, we can go shopping Saturday.’

CW: Sounds like he’s a player’s coach.

KF: Yes. We’re like best friends. I’m interested in seeing what the road trips are like this year.

CW: Switching gears, what do you want your legacy to be here once you’re done playing?

KF: I want to be known as a player that worked hard and always got better and didn’t reach their peak until right at the end.

CW: Do you see yourself doing any coaching after you’re done playing volleyball?

KF: It’s always in the back of my mind. I wouldn’t mind staying in volleyball, and I was thinking about going overseas to play for a couple of years if I’m still healthy. But I’m kind of thinking of getting out of volleyball after I’m done here. I don’t want to be a college coach – maybe like high school, middle school or little kids.