Club challenges stereotypes of salespeople

The College of Commerce and Business Administration Sales Program wants students to know they aren’t your average, slimy used car salesmen.

The group is working to challenge the negative stereotype that often comes with the sales profession. Through the sales specialization offered in the Culverhouse School of Commerce and Business Administration, the Sales and Marketing Association and Sales Ambassadors, people like Joe Calamusa, their director, are informing students of what people in the sales field actually do.

“Good salespeople aren’t trying to trick you,” Calamusa said. “When you get in the big leagues of professional selling, you can’t sell one thing one time. You are selling an entire line over many years. Tricking only works once.”

The jobs available in the sales profession vary far beyond telemarketers and vacuum salesmen. Calamusa said there are four main categories within the sales profession: inside sales, outside sales, customer service and marketing and advertising. He also said these jobs are plentiful.

“There are more jobs available than students can fill,” Calamusa said. “There are jobs in big companies and local companies and in every industry.”

Elliot Mayson, president of Sales Ambassadors, said this variety of jobs presents the need for a variety of people in the sales profession.

“Sales can be for a lot of different personality types,” Mayson said. “We’re trying to portray the real image of a salesperson. You don’t have to be really outgoing and be able to talk to anyone. You can be the quiet, reserved type and really succeed in sales.”

David Foster, president of the Sales and Marketing Association, agrees that successful sales teams need diversity.

“We do need confident, intelligent people wiling to step out and talk to somebody,” Foster said. “But, we also need those people who aren’t necessarily comfortable talking in front of a group but have brilliant ideas. A lot goes on behind closed doors. It is a true team effort.”

This team mentality is built within the Sales Program largely by the Sales and Marketing Association, which places a large focus on community service. SMA hosts several events throughout the year that build the relationships not only amongst students, but also with corporate businesspeople.

“SMA has put me in a position to succeed in sales,” Foster said. It has opened so many doors. We have events with corporate sponsors and network constantly, and it has also allowed me to give back.”

The events Foster mentioned include career fairs, resume workshops, corporate workshops and fundraisers for nonprofits like Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure. These events are open to all students, but SMA students receive priority. Foster encourages all students to attend an SMA event.

“You can’t know if something is right for you unless you put in the effort to try it,” Foster said. “If you think you might like sales, talk to an advisor, come to an SMA event or come to a class.”

For more information on the Sales Program, contact Joe Calamusa at [email protected].