CS department to partner with College Board

The University of Alabama was selected as one of the top 10 universities to participate in the College Board’s Advanced Placement Pilot Study to help with creating a new AP exam in Computer Science.

The course, which is listed as CS 104, was created to offer non-major students the opportunity to master the basics of computer science, according to Jeff Gray, associate professor of computer science.

“The course is particularly focused on those who are non-majors,” Gray said. “We will teach students about the fundamentals of computing.”

Other projects include teaching students how to program the Android smartphone using new technology in collaboration with Google.

The University was one of 220 applicants, and was chosen as one of the top 10 schools to test the Pilot, also being the only SEC school selected to participate. College Board is providing the University with $20,000 to help develop the course.

Each university is partnered will a high school to collaborate in running the Pilot. UA is partnered with Booker T. Washington High School in Montgomery.

“College Board has formed these partnerships with high schools so that there is a direct link between what is eventually taught in an AP course in high school, and the equivalent course that is then awarded credit at the university,” Gray said.

The University is also partnered with A+ College Ready, an organization that works on improving student achievement in AP programs.

“They are focused on increasing access to rigorous college-level Advanced Placement course offerings in Alabama high schools in the core subject areas of math, science and English,” Gray said.

Not only will the Pilot help in creating new computer science programs, it’ll also help the University have a stronger influence on the direction of computer science education.

“It also has the potential to provide a platform for us to make a deep impact,” Gray said. “It will also allow us to make inroads into more Alabama school systems that want to learn about computer science.”