Senate stalls UA’s latest power play

Fellow Capstonians, in what may be the most historic tabling in the University of Alabama’s SGA Senate history, the senate delayed the vote on a bill that would fund a portion of an online carpool networking service for the University. The University has already paid for the majority of the service named Zimride but requested the SGA to cover the rest. The probable benefits and functionality of Zimride are not what is most important, however.

For the first time in a long time, the SGA Senate stood up to the SGA executive branch by refusing to subserviently pass this bill. Members of the executive branch, who supported the funding of Zimride, even took to Twitter to convey their dismay and disapproval before quickly saving face by promising that the two sides would compromise.

But understand this: the University went to the SGA for funding around the time that the Board of Trustees raised tuition. Thus, a week after the University clamored about further fiscal responsibility moving forward, it was revealed that the University had agreed to pay for an unnecessary service – no matter how useful it could be. Not only that, but it also sought out the SGA to help fund the service with money allocated specifically for students.

Knowing full well the sordidness of this request, the members of the SGA executive branch supported it. Of course they did; the executive branch has always been closer to the administration than to the student body. Thankfully, though, the SGA Senate prompted for further discussion in its next meeting.

That discussion better not only revolve around the costs and benefits of Zimride because this decision is no ordinary resolution. After watching tuition rise again and Bama Parking fail to accommodate the purchasing of parking permits, why in “Bear” Bryant’s name should we fork over more money for a transportation service we may never use?

The University has already proven that it can pay for the full cost of this service anyway, since it has temporarily covered the portion it has billed the SGA. If this is the case, it should bear the total cost.

If the supposed need for Zimride is so great that it warrants convincing the SGA to foot part of the bill, then we have either a transportation and parking crisis or an administration that is willing to flex its political muscle for a measly financial cushion.

This should not come as a surprise though. This is a university that toyed with metered parking on campus. Yes, metered parking, as if we are vying for space on Madison Avenue. They almost did it, too; you could find metered parking zones on Bama Parking’s campus map up until a few weeks ago. I would presume that toll sidewalks and building entrance fees are the next ingenious proposals.

I will say, as a matter of fact, metered parking would cure some parking congestion and eliminate the egregious abuse of 30-minute spots, but so would a ban on freshmen bringing cars. Or, more shuttles to off-campus apartment complexes. Or, bike lanes in Tuscaloosa.

It’s not as though I believe the SGA should never help the University financially. But for Zimride? Let’s analyze this Zimride – not to be confused with the failed Zipcar program.

This service deserves some credit, first of all. For students, faculty and staff with long commutes, having the ability to post their commutes and view those of other’s increases the likelihood of carpooling.

For spontaneous traveling, Zimride fails since it is built for regular trips or trips planned far enough into the future. For commuting to campus, Zimride fails this year because most students have already purchased their wallet-thinning parking permits. Thus, for most potential users of this service, it would be of little to no use.

I am appalled that UA even stooped so low as to go to the SGA for the funding of the program. I am even more appalled that the SGA executive branch didn’t even raise an eyebrow.

It is up to the SGA Senate to vote down the proposed funding of a portion of Zimride, not just because it is a waste of student-allocated money, but because the SGA is supposed to represent the student body – not the whims of the University.