Bonnaroo offers escape from reality

The Tennessee sun blazed through the foggy haze that the kicked-up dust and cigarette smoke had created, blurring the tens of thousands of people roaming the farm. Patrons crowded every inch of the coveted shade, more of them half-naked than fully clothed. Every few minutes, spontaneous eruptions of cheers would join the live music coming from the stages of Centeroo. Strangers chatted through the bandanas shielding their lungs from the inescapable dust as they waited for shows to begin and joyfully danced and sang together once the music began.

Bonnaroo Music and Arts Festival celebrated “ten years of magic” this year. The event was held on a 700-acre farm in Manchester, Tenn. from June 9 to June 12. The festival showcased over 175 performers ranging from Grammy-winning Arcade Fire to big name rapper Lil’ Wayne to indie favorite Beirut.

Beyond the shows and activities offered, a key component of the Bonnaroo experience was the accommodations. While there were RV campsites available, the majority of patrons spent the four days in a campsite the size of a dorm room, sleeping in a tent without free access to a shower. Among the 80,000 Bonnaroo attendees were several Alabama students who viewed the camping experience a little differently.

Mandy Watts, a senior majoring in math education, wasn’t a fan.

“Roughing it sucked a lot,” she said with a laugh. “I showered using the melted cooler ice and the mushroom water fountain.”

Madeleine Cheatham, a junior majoring in public relations, however, enjoyed the change of pace.

“It’s nice to have a break from reality,” she said.

Entering the gates of Bonnaroo is entering into a different world. It is a place where it is socially acceptable to walk around in only a swimsuit (with no body of water in sight), drink a beer at 9 a.m., and go without bathing after sweating profusely for 72 hours straight. With food offerings such as veggie corndogs and eggplant meatball subs, it is a vegetarian’s paradise. It is a place where trash is labeled “landfill” and is nestled between a recycling and compost bin. It is a place where, even in constant crowds, persistent 95 degree heat, and rampant use of various legal and illegal substances, violence is rare. It is a place where love for music is all it takes to bring people of all walks of life together.

“All the people there are really unique, and it is fun to go out of your comfort zone and meet all the different people there. It is neat to know that you are all sharing the same passion: music,” said Reed Ellis, a senior majoring in public relations.

“There’s something about thousands of people singing along to that song that gives you chills,” said Seth Nelson, recent marketing graduate.

Students agree that it is the people who attend Bonnaroo that made it unforgettable.

“The type of people you see at Bonnaroo are the people that don’t have a care in the world, and as a result, they are really enjoying life,” Nelson said.

“It feels like everyone is on the same page and enjoying themselves. It feels like no one can really bring you down,” Ellis said. “At Bonnaroo I feel like I truly learned that you can not judge people by what they look like, because everyone has their own stories. The people that you meet can change your outlook on life.”

For videos, pictures and news from the festival, check out bonnaroo.com.