Advertising professors win awards

Some students say it’s the teacher who makes the difference in the classroom. While there are some who have bad reputations, others are popular for good reasons, like showing their care for and reaching out to students.

Each year, there are awards to honor professors who have exemplified these unique traits.

Professor Susy Daria received the 2011 American Advertising Federation District Seven Donald G. Hileman Award in recognition of her teaching and service to advertising students. The award covers five states, including Georgia, Louisiana and Tennessee.

“I was completely shocked,” Daria said. “I had no idea I had been nominated. It feels great. I still can’t believe that it happened. I can think of many other people who probably deserve the award more than I do, but I certainly appreciate it.

“It meant a lot coming from the American Advertising Federation because I’ve been involved with [AAF] since I was a student.”

Daria is known around the Advertising and Public Relations Department as being a professor who really shows passion for her job and love for her students.

“To be a recipient of the Hileman award is, I think, a fantastic honor,” said Joe Phelps, department chair of the Advertising and Public Relations Department. “You have five states with multiple really good programs…you have all of these states with really good programs and to be named the best teacher out of that whole region, it is incredibly impressive and well deserved on her part.”

Amber Parker, a junior under Daria’s advisement, said she’s known Daria since her freshman year.

“She welcomed me with opened arms; we sat there and talked about what I wanted to do and different ways I could make that happen,” Parker said. “I don’t know what I would’ve done, where I would be right now if I hadn’t had those types of talks with Ms. Daria. She is more than well-deserving of the award.”

Daria was presented her Hileman award at a luncheon last week that was attended by colleagues and President Witt. The Ad Team was presented and a couple of students were awarded scholarships. Daria has been featured on the College of Communications and Information Sciences website as a spotlighted professor and was a part of the Ad Team in the Department of Advertising and Public Relations.

“I love teaching,” Daria said. “I love to be around students. I think that they teach me just as much as I teach them. They keep me abreast of what’s going on in the industry…I really enjoy interacting and being a part of a college community. I think that when you love your job, hopefully that comes across. I think that my students are something that make me happy, and I enjoy helping them to become future leaders in the industry. I’ve got great students and I’ve got great colleagues.”