Alum places in interior design competition

By Caroline Murray and Jasmine Wright

The University of Alabama interior design programs have provided students like Kathryn Daly, who graduated in May 2009, the real world experience needed to succeed in today’s job market.

Daly, third place winner in the 2008 American Society of Interior Designers Statewide Student Restaurant design competition, started work on Monday at Tuscaloosa’s Toulmin Cabinetry as a kitchen and bathroom designer.

Toulmin Cabinetry is what owner and principal designer Jay Young refers to as a “one-stop shop.”

The firm sees the client through the entire renovation process, from design to installation. Young said that for his business, he needs employees with more than a degree.

“I’m looking for someone that has a creative design flair,” he said. “You’ve got to know what you’re doing and be aware of the industry standards. You’ve got to have a flair and confidence to be able to help people create their dream kitchen.”

Michelle Lee, instructor of interior design in the College of Human and Environmental Sciences, agreed that creativity is key to success in the field of interior design.

“The interior design department requires students to have a natural creative ability and clear demonstration,” Lee said. “You have to work hard and be eager to learn. This is an important element as a student and when trying to get first-time job placement.”

Beverly Kissinger, assistant professor of interior design, said Daly displayed the needed traits.

“Kathryn was an excellent student, very well-rounded with amazing personality,” Kissinger said. “One of the most important things you must have in this field of work is great personality and an amazing portfolio, both of which Kathryn provided.”

Daly said the UA interior design department prepared her for the various facets of the interior design business.

“They show you both aspects of commercial and residential design so you get a feel for which side of design you want to go into,” Daly said.

Daly said the real world experience and recognition she gained in the American Society of Interior Designers competition was the most rewarding experience she had as an undergrad.

“I placed third in the state, so I knew I was in the right field and doing the right thing,” Daly said.

Young said hands-on experience is important for current interior design students.

“Get some practical hands-on experience,” she said. “Get out in the field. Pay attention to design trends.”

Kissinger said the interior design program enables students to gain that experience.

“The program is designed to teach, train and provide the students what they need for the real world experience,” Kissinger said.

Daly advised current interior design students to stick with the labor-intensive interior design curriculum.

“Don’t give up,” she said. “It’s a lot of work, but it pays off in the end. You have to be dedicated.”