UA iPhone app debuts on Apple store

The University of Alabama – there’s an app for that.

On Saturday, the University launched the application to the iTunes store after much speculation as to the date of its arrival.

The app features functions including directories, maps, Crimson Ride tracking, videos, campus news, courses and others.

“This app, as it continues to update and progress through time, will revolutionize the way in which we interact with the University,” said David Wilson, vice president for student affairs.

Wilson said developmental work for the app began in July 2010 when all legal agreements and professional services were finalized.

“We have been working on the app for well over a year now,” he said. “It has been a collaboration of the Department of Information Technology, [Student Government Association], Auxiliary Services and other departments around campus.”

Wilson said they felt a need to make a push for the development of this app because they saw the impact that mobile technology was having on the world and wanted the University of Alabama to be able to take advantage of that technology.

Wilson, one of the few students able to test the product over winter break, said the tool will not only benefit students and faculty on campus but will also be useful for Alabama fans and prospective students.

Ivon Foster, assistant to the provost for special projects, said that not so long ago, mobility involved laptops on a wireless network.

“Today we have most of the capabilities of a laptop in a smartphone – in the palm of our hand,” Foster said. “It is important for UA to stay up-to-date with technology and provide the University community access to information and resources where they are on the go.”

The app will soon be available for the Blackberry and Android versions, Foster said.

“This is only the beginning,” she said. “We are already planning for future versions with features that are more complex to develop.  It was important to release the app now, and then work toward the more complex features in the future.”

Dabrielle Covington, a sophomore majoring in public relations, said she downloaded the app as soon as it was available, and she said it was very helpful.

“It’s more reliable and faster than just going to the Internet to look up a bus route or contact for a teacher or advisor,” she said. “I’m sure it’ll be a success, especially when it’s available for Android and Blackberry users.”

To download the app, go to the Apple iTunes app store.