Lavender Graduation honors LGBT grads

Capstone Alliance, Spectrum, and the Women’s Resource Center are hosting Lavender Graduation today in the Ferguson Center Heritage Room. Lavender Graduation is a commencement ceremony aimed to honor gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, queer and allied students and their accomplishments at the Capstone.

“Students honored at this event have not only completed the academic requirements for a college degree, but have also overcome the odds of being sexual minorities or at-risk populations during their school years. We honor them for that as much as their papers, reports and projects,” said a statement released by the Lavender Graduation Organizing Committee.

Margaret Bagley, assistant professor in the department of communication studies and president-elect of Capstone Alliance, said the ceremony will mimic many of the features of a traditional graduation, but is planned to be a more intimate and informal gathering.

“Our participants will process in, hear from student and faculty speakers, be called by name and recess out,” Bagley said. “However, we do have fun touches that we have added since it’s an unofficial and queer-friendly event. For instance, our music committee is debating between Florence + the Machine and Natasha Bedingfield for the processional song.”

Lavender Graduation began at the University of Michigan in 1995 and has spread to universities around the country. Bagley’s personal participation at her own graduation inspired her to start a program at the University.

“My partner and I got to walk in a Lavender Graduation last year when we graduated from UT-Austin and it was easily one of the best parts of our graduation experience,” Bagley said. “Visibility is a huge factor for gay, lesbian and queer communities – we are often overlooked since sexuality is less visible than race or gender, and that is why events like pride parades and Lavender Graduations are so important.”

Support is another important tenet of the Lavender Graduation, Bagley said.

“Queer youth, as we have seen in the US this year, are five-times more likely to commit suicide than their straight peers,” she said. “We have to let students who are not out, scared to talk or needing a friend that we are here to support them.”

For Bagley, Lavender Graduation offers an opportunity to show students how far-reaching their support system at Alabama really is.

“As a faculty member it is important to me that these students (and those in attendance who may walk in future classes) know how many allies they have at UA,” she said. “We have had a great turnout of support for this event and the students will see how far and wide their supporters really are at Alabama. What better way to conclude your college years?”

If You Go:

What: Lavender Graduation

When: Tonight from 6 to 8

Where: Ferguson Center Heritage Room