Students to dive for Red Cross charity

Students will have the opportunity Feb. 12 to support the West Alabama American Red Cross by diving into an outdoor pool – in the winter.

The Polar Bear Plunge will be from 10 a.m. to noon at the Student Recreation Center Outdoor Pool Complex.

Early registration will be going on until Feb. 10. The fee is $5 for students and $10 for non-students. Day-of registration is available and costs $10 for students and $15 for non-students. The registration form is available online at urec.ua.edu.

Christine Hackman, an aquatics graduate assistant, said she would be happy for the number of participants to break 100.

The first 50 participants will receive free coffee mugs, and there were will be heated locker rooms, showers and hot chocolate for participants. Participants should bring a bathing suit, towels and warm clothes. The slide will also be open for the plunge.

Hackman said she got the idea to have a Polar Plunge because they are popular in her native state of New York. She said she wanted to make this event fun since participants might be hesitant to jump in a pool in February. She said she hopes to make the plunge an annual event.

The Red Cross is a key asset for families who suffer from fires and other tragedies because they will relocate families to temporary housing, Hackman said.

“We really admire what they do, so we want to give back,” she said.

Hackman said there will be a costume contest at 10:30 a.m. on the day of the event. The participant with the most school spirit will win. After jumping in the pool in costume, the winner will be awarded a pool party at the Recreation Center for 150 friends.

“One of the things we are so proud of is our relationship with UA,” said Oscar Barnes, executive director of the West Alabama chapter of the American Red Cross in Tuscaloosa.

Barnes said this event is one of those times where talents are shared so that the community benefits.

“Everyone has a good time,” Barnes said. “We enjoy it, and the funds go to provide service.”

Barnes said the American Red Cross is appreciative of the University, and they couldn’t have put on the Polar Plunge without their help.

Robert Herron, a graduate student in exercise science and president of the Exercise Physiology Club, said that the club is looking forward to the event because it is a great opportunity to learn about cold-water stress and exercise.

“Jumping in cold water takes some courage, but it will be fun,” Herron said.

Lindsay Malone, a graduate student in the advertising and public relations program who plans on participating in the event, said she was going to prepare to take the plunge by running a 5K that morning.

“I am looking forward to the Polar Plunge because my hometown in Michigan just got 12 inches of snow, and it will be a nice reminder of what I left back home,” Malone said. “I also like to stay active on campus and this seems like a fun event to get my friends together and do something sporadic and different.”