UA iPhone app to launch this spring

The UA application for Apple products is expected to launch sometime this semester, University Relations officials said.

The app, originally announced in April 2010, is the product of a collaboration of the University and Blackboard Mobile, and at the time of release, will be compatible only with the iPhone and the iPod touch.

“Development work began in July 2010, once all legal agreements were in place with Apple and professional services from Blackboard were finalized.” Assistant Vice President for University Relations Deborah Lane said.

“The development and testing phases are now nearly complete, and we expect to be able to launch the app later this spring,” Lane said.  “The development process for apps for Blackberrys and Androids will begin when this version is finalized.”

Student Government Association President pro tempore David Wilson, one of a few students who were allowed to test the product over the winter holidays, said the current plan is to release to app during or before spring break.

“It’s a great app,” Wilson said. “It features campus maps, the directory, course information and class schedules, athletics and news about events on campus.”

“I’m excited about it. Not for myself, but for the campus as a whole,” said Elliott Bell, a Blackberry-owning freshman majoring in history.  “Although I wouldn’t exactly call myself a Luddite, my phone is mostly for calls and texts.”