Gregory Thompson named a university research professor

Bryan Hester – University of Ala

The University of Alabama’s board trustees named Gregory Thompson, a professor in The University of Alabama’s Department of Metallurgical and Materials Engineering, a University research professor. 

In 1996, Thompson earned his bachelor’s degree in physics from Brigham Young University, then went on to earn his master’s and doctorate in materials science and engineering from Ohio State University. Thompson began his career at The University of Alabama in 2003 as an assistant professor, received a promotion to associate professor in 2008 and became a professor in 2012. 

Thompson serves as director of UA’s Central Analytical Facility and the director of the materials science doctoral program. During his time at the University, Thompson gained global recognition as a leader in the study of mechanisms that underlie structural phase transitions in materials. 

While working at the University, he was awarded the Hackney Leadership Award by the College of Engineering in 2018 and the UA Blackmon-Moody Outstanding Professor Award in 2014. 

Thompson has also received awards and honors from the Minerals, Metals and Materials Society, such as: 

• Young Leader and the National Science Foundation CAREER awards, 2005. 
  • Young Faculty Fellow award, 2007.
  • Japanese Institute of Metals Young Leader International Scholar, 2008. 
  • Brimacombe Medalist (for his research in multi-scale material characterization), 2017. 

Trustees can appoint the title in recognition of extraordinary, internationally recognized scholarly attainment in an individual field.