Alabama defeats Fresno State in home opener

The No. 1 Alabama Crimson Tide defeated Fresno State, 41-10, in its first home game of the 2017 season. The Crimson Tide did not take much time to get things started against the Bulldogs. Alabama scored on the second play of the game with a 55-yard touchdown run from Jalen Hurts. The Crimson Tide would then score on its next two drives to take a commanding lead, and would not look back from there.

Moment of the game

Jalen Hurts gets Alabama off to a hot start with a 55-yard touchdown run on the second play of the game.

Alabama offensive player of the game

Matthew Speakman- Jalen Hurts

Cody Estremera- Jalen Hurts

Alabama defensive player

Matthew Speakman- Ronnie Harrison

Cody Estremera- Raekwon Davis

Fan players of the game (determined by a Twitter poll)

Offense- Jalen Hurts

Defense- Ronnie Harrison

Notes:

• Raekwon Davis, Keith Holcombe, Levi Wallace and Jamey Mosley all started for the first time in their careers.
  • Jalen Hurts connected with tight end Hale Hentges on a 23-yard touchdown pass with 8:24 left in the first quarter. That touchdown was the first of Hentges career.
  • Levi Wallace was injured with 12:02 left in the second quarter.  He would return on the next drive for Alabama.
  • Freshman quarterback Tua Tagovailoa made his debut for the Crimson Tide in the second quarter. He completed his first two passes, but his first drive stalled and Alabama had to punt for the first time in the game. Jalen Hurts would come in on the next drive.
  • Damien Harris scored a rushing touchdown for the second-straight game in a row. He took it in from three yards out with 1:15 left in the second quarter.
  • Jalen Hurts had an impressive half for the Crimson Tide. He finished the second quarter 12 for 13 with 112 yards and a touchdown. He also added 119 yards and two touchdowns on the ground. Alabama had 297 yards total in the first half.
  • Jalen Hurts went over 100 yards rushing for the fifth time in his career. He finished with 154 rushing yards. That marked a new career high in rushing yards for Hurts.