Scare over: Fall break is back for 2017-2018 school year

After an initial concern that the annual mid-semester study break would not return at the University next year, “Fall Break” has been confirmed for the 2017-2018 school year.

Students began to worry two weeks ago when the UA Registrar’s office published the academic calendar for 2017 on their website. When it was first published, there were no listings for a mid-semester break during the fall semester.

This led many students to believe there was no fall break in the 2017-2018 academic year. The Registrar’s office confirmed to The Crimson White that this is not true.

According to Chris Bryant, interim director of the Office of Media Relations, there is a planned mid-semester study break as usual on the 2017 calendar. 

“The break will be Thursday through Friday, Oct. 26 and 27,” Bryant said.

The Registrar’s office indicated that the dates for each academic semester go through a rolling approval process, so some dates are not added to the calendar immediately. Officials believe this is what ultimately caused the confusion.

According to Bryant, the dates were most likely not approved immediately due to football scheduling. 

“Fall Break traditionally falls on an off-weekend for football; therefore, the dates for fall break are not published until the fall football schedule is set,” he said.

The Office of Academic Affairs is responsible for the approval of the academic calendar each year. Once dates for breaks and registration are approved, the Registrar’s office uploads it to http://registrar.ua.edu/academiccalendar/.

Bryant also said there were no major changes expected for the regular academic calendar anytime soon.

Currently, the 2017 fall semester schedule will start on Aug. 23 and continue until Dec. 8. Final exams will be held Dec. 11-15.