Students ‘Up ’til Dawn’ for St. Jude’s

The University of Alabama is inviting all faculty, staff, students and community members to participate in a letter-writing event supporting St. Jude’s hospital, from 6 p.m. to midnight Nov. 16 in the Ferguson Center Ballroom.

According to Jessica Pearson, executive director of the St. Jude’s Collegiate Executive Board, Up ’til Dawn is St. Jude’s main fund raising event held each year and sponsored by universities nationwide. Participants are asked to bring in names and addresses of family and friends who are willing to donate towards the cause. St. Jude’s supplies the pre-written letters, stamps, and envelopes.

Donations go directly to St. Jude and average about a $25 return rate for every letter. The costs of the letter-writing event are covered by donations from the University’s Financial Affairs Committee, Panhellenic Association, Interfraternity Council, Student Affairs, Parking Services and Target, according to Pearson.

“St. Jude is the only pediatric cancer research center where families never pay for treatment not covered by insurance,” Pearson said. “The hospital costs over $1.5 million dollars a day to operate, most of which is covered by public contributions.”

Zita Orji, Logistic Chairperson for the Up ’til Dawn event, said through donations and funds raised by T-shirt sales and local restaurants there has been roughly $4,000 dollars raised.

“The money we raise can go to a variety of things, such as hypoallergenic fabrics for the children or a CT scan, it just depends, either way we will be making a difference and alleviating the cost for St. Jude,” Orji said.

Besides letter writing, there will be a finale event hosted to celebrate the University’s achievements through fund raising. Students must write a minimum of 10 letters to attend the finale where there will be food, entertainment and prize giveaways, said Pearson.

Students have the opportunity to win prizes by the number of letters written.

“For 20 letters, students will be entered into a chance to win signed footballs by the team and Coach Saban, and gift cards,” Pearson said. “For 35 we are giving away an iPod Touch, two $250 book scholarships, and gift cards up to $100. When students write 55 letters or more they are entered into a chance to win a $1,000 scholarship. By participating in various activities during the finale event, student can also win prizes such as a digital camera.”

There will also be step performances by Alpha Phi Alpha and Kappa Alpha Psi and other competitions and drawings, as well as guest speakers, including St. Jude’s patient, Clint Sikes.

“Up ’til Dawn is so important to me because I know the money we raise goes towards helping these children grow up and go to college too,” Pearson said. “I also think its vital for people understand that when they support St. Jude, they really are helping fight childhood cancer everywhere, since the research and developments that occur at St. Jude result in thousands of children saved around the world.”