SGA offers away game transportation

On Nov. 6, the University of Alabama’s Student Government Association will launch the Ride with the Tide initiative, a program to provide students with a safe, alternative way to travel to away football games, regardless of whether they have a football ticket.

“The SGA felt it was important for students to have an opportunity to attend away football games, even if they weren’t eligible for a game ticket,” said Nicole Bohannon, SGA executive vice president and a junior majoring in political science.

By purchasing a $45 ticket, students will receive transportation to and from the game, admission to an SGA-sponsored tailgate, a meal at the tailgate and an opportunity to watch the game at the tailgate.

Katie Breaseale, SGA press secretary and a senior majoring in public relations, said the SGA meal will consist of chicken jambalaya, chicken fingers, finger foods and soda.

“Ride with the Tide is ideal for not only students who have purchased LSU student tickets, but also students who would like to experience LSU tailgating and watch the game on-site,” Breaseale said.

Bohannon said this is the first time the SGA has provided the transit service, but they are hopeful that a successful pilot program will allow for it to be expanded in coming years.

Though the SGA is implementing Ride with the Tide, the UA Parents Association sponsored the initiative.

“The Parents Association has provided support both financially and with publicity to their members,” Bohannon said. “We are very appreciative of their participation and support.”

There are 330 student spots available for the trip to Baton Rouge and just more than 300 students have already signed up. The deadline to reserve a seat has been extended to Oct. 27.

According to an SGA news release, student organizations can purchase group tickets on the same bus, if desired. Any student may request to be seated in the same bus as another student who has already purchased a ticket.

Because the kickoff time has not yet been announced, the departure and arrival times have not been set. Students who purchase tickets will be notified of these times as soon as the information is available.

“We hope students will continue to fill the seats for Ride with the Tide,” Bohannon said. “Ultimately, we’re just excited to get more students to Baton Rouge.”

To purchase tickets for the Ride with the Tide initiative, visit 231 Ferguson or call 348-2742.