SGA to host event for students interested in off-campus housing

The Student Government Association will be hosting a Landlords, Leases and Legalities event on Tuesday, Oct. 19 at 7 p.m. in the Ferguson Center Theater, open to all students interested in living off-campus next year.

According to SGA Press Secretary Katie Breaseale, the event will address the main problems and questions students have when moving into an off-campus house or apartment. Several speakers involved in housing and realty are scheduled to attend. There will also be a question and answer session to allow the audience to get answers for their specific questions and problems.

Stephen Swinson, SGA vice president of Student Affairs, acknowledges that moving off-campus can be stressful, and encourages any students with questions or concerns to attend the event.

“For many students, college is the first time they have to pick an apartment or house, pay bills, and maintain their property,” Swinson said. “This can be an overwhelming challenge for some. Landlord, Leases and Legalities provides some beneficial guidance on their rights as tenants, taking safety precautions, selecting a stable residence, and the importance of up keeping their home.”

The Landlords, Leases and Legalities event will feature three speakers directly involved in different areas of off-campus housing: Steve Rumsey of Rumsey Properties, Professor Anne Hornsby, director of the Civil Law Clinic, and Julie Elmore.

Julie Elmore, the assistant director of Off-Campus and Greek Housing at the University, said the goal of the program is to inform students so they can make educated choices when it comes to living off campus.

“I will speak to them about the importance of knowing the cost of living off campus and having a budget, the importance of knowing for sure that you want to live with your selected roommate for a year in the location you select because once the lease is signed it is a binding document, the importance of reading the lease and knowing what you are signing, and remember that they are University of Alabama students no matter where they live,” Elmore said.

In addition to the Landlords, Leases and Legalities event, students looking for off-campus housing information can attend the Off-Campus Housing Fair on Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Ferg, hosted by Housing and Residential Communities’ Off-Campus Resources.

“They can expect a variety of different properties to be represented at the Fair,” said Elmore, whose department will be hosting the fair.

Elmore encourages anyone who is interested in speaking with local property owners and realtors or just seeing what housing and rental rates are available in the area should attend.