The 10 best Pokestops around campus

The 10 best Pokestops around campus

Since July, we’ve all been on a quest to be the very best like no one ever was. “Pokemon Go,” a downloadable app that uses augmented reality to allow players to catch Pokemon in real-life locations, was a hit over the summer and continues to be a popular pastime for college students. The University’s campus is full of “Pokestops,” in-game areas that allow players to collect items, and Gyms, where trainers can battle it out. Here’s a guide to the best locations on campus to play Pokemon Go.

10. The Campus Map

Start your on-campus Pokemon adventure by looking at a map that isn’t crowded by gyms and blue circles, and collect items at this Pokestop while you’re at it it. Located at the corner of University Boulevard and 6th Avenue, the campus map highlights the locations of all the major buildings at UA, so you can plan your Pokemon route accordingly.

9. Gorgas Library

At some point this semester you’ll most likely find yourself studying in Gorgas Library. When you’re taking a break, be sure to see what this Pokestop will give you. And remember, items will reappear every five minutes, so keep checking back during those long study sessions.

8. Open Fountain at the Ferg

You might also find yourself spending time at the Ferg this semester, whether you’re visiting the SupeStore, grabbing lunch upstairs or getting Starbucks. While you wait in line, see if you’re close enough to pick up some items from the fountain outside.

7. Hackberry Park

Located on Campus Drive near the Engineering Quad, Hackberry Park is a bit of an out of the way Pokestop. But if you want to take your friends out there for a picnic or just hang out away from the hustle and bustle of the quad, don’t forget to stop at the sign by the entrance, open up your Pokemon Go app and see what you can get.

6. Anchor Sculpture

The anchor sculpture is located at the corner of 6th Avenue and Magnolia Drive near the Delta Gamma Sorority House and Osband Hall. If you spend a lot of time on this side of campus, you should be sure to grab some supplies here.

5. Marr’s Spring

Tucked away behind B.B. Comer, Marr’s Spring is a calm little spot great for studying and for maybe catching a few water type Pokemon.

4. Site of Franklin Hall

If you’re studying on the quad, take a moment and stop by The Mound, otherwise known as the the site where Franklin Hall used to be before the original campus was burned down during the Civil War. Take a minute to appreciate a piece of history and restock your supplies, too.

3. Denny Chimes

You sit near it while studying on the quad, you pass it on game days and on your way to class. So when you’re just hanging out near the quad, see what the Denny Chimes can give you other than the time of day.

2. Bear Bryant Stature

Only one statue on the Walk of Champions is its own Pokestop: that of Paul “Bear” Bryant. Let the man who some would argue is the greatest Alabama football coach of all time help you become a better Pokemon trainer.

1. Wood’s Quad Sculpture Garden

Wood’s Quad is home to three Pokestops and a gym, so it nabs the top stop on this list. The “Quilted Vessel,” “Goldie” and “Homage to Brancusi” sculptures are all Pokestops and the Quad’s centerpiece, the Alabama Biennial sculpture, is a gym. So if you really want to be the University’s Pokemon Master, spending some time at Woods Quad can definitely help you reach that goal.