Top 10 ways to stay cool this summer

Let’s be real – Tuscaloosa in the summer is hot and humid. So if you’re a fall-loving person like me, or if you’re just tired of the oppressive heat, you’ve probably been looking for ways to stay cool this summer.

1. Drink Water

In this summer heat, you need water to keep you hydrated and healthy. Don’t like regular water? Grab some Vitamin Water, or flavor powder packets. Keeping bottles of water in your freezer can also be a win-win. You not only get a nice cold ice pack to put on your neck while watching TV, eventually you’ll have that nice, cold refreshing drink.

2. Go Swimming

There’s no more fun way to beat the summer heat then by jumping into some cool water. Whether it’s in the pool at your apartment, Hurricane Creek or a spot on Lake Tuscaloosa, take a day, grab some friends and go spend a little while in the water. Don’t forget your sunscreen though!

3. Grab a treat from Steel City Pops

We’re pretty lucky in Tuscaloosa – We’ve got a Steel City Pops. So take advantage of it and grab yourself one of their gourmet frozen pop flavors like watermelon, coffee and strawberry shortcake. Or if you’re a simple flavor person like me, try their vanilla bean frozen pop. Can’t afford Steel City? Head to Target and buy one of those big bags of ice pops from when you were a kid. A box of those could last you the whole summer…maybe.

4. Or grab any other frozen treat

Not a frozen pop fan? That’s cool. Any other frozen treat works just as well. Grab some Ben & Jerry’s or Bluebell from the store, head over to Yogurt Mountain or get some Dippin’ Dots. No matter what, a sweet, cold treat is bound to help beat the heat.

5. Wear lighter clothes

There’s a reason dresses are popular in the summer. Think about leaving the thicker, tighter clothes in the closet in favor of loose clothes. It’ll allow for more are circulation and there’s less chance of the clothes sticking to you. Cotton is also a better choice in the summer as it breathes better than other fabrics. Consider wearing clothes that are lighter in color too, so that they absorb less sunlight.

6. Use your appliances less

More free time in the summer means more time to use that kitchen, but reconsider using that stove top and oven all the time. I know, as college kids who live off take out and microwave food during the semester, that the summer is the time to try out all those amazing Pinterest recipes. But your stovetop and oven will just make your house warmer. As will running your dishwasher or dryer constantly. Try some no bake recipes instead and maybe consider hand washing dishes and line drying clothes. You’ll save some money on your utilities too that you can put towards cranking up the A/C.

7. Check your fan rotation

Your ceiling fans are meant to keep the air moving in the room, but the direction in which the blades move can actually affect the temperature. Make sure your ceiling fan is spinning counter clockwise is the warmer months. This pushes the cold air down and helps you save money on your A/C bill.

8. Stay inside

The heat is outside, so if you want to avoid it altogether, go inside. Try to meet up with your friends at indoor spots. Go see a matinee movie instead of a late night one. You’ll beat the afternoon heat, save money and it’ll be cool when you get out. Have no plans, but want to get out of the house? Grab a book and go to a library. It’ll be cool and quiet.

9. Shade is your friend

If you truly want hang out outside, remember shade is nice. Grab a blanket, some cold drinks and some friends and find a shady spot for a picnic. Or just take yourself, a blanket, some water and a good book and catch up on some summer reading. It can be nice in the summer when it’s not 100 degrees and 100 percent humidity. Take advantage of those rare days like you do in the late fall when it’s almost too cold, but stay cool and healthy while you do it.

10. And finally- slow down

It’s summer. Most of us don’t have class, which means a little more free time. Enjoy it. There’s no need to rush most days. Slow down and stay cool. Go on a walk instead of a run, lie in bed with a fan blowing on you or take a nice cool bath. Just relax, calm down and enjoy.