Softball starts 4-game home stand with midweek matchup

Over spring break, Alabama softball played eight games away from Rhoads Stadium. On Tuesday, the team starts a four-game home stand.

After getting shelled by then-No. 4 LSU last Sunday, sophomore right-hander Alexis Osorio split the weekend in her home state of California. She allowed three runs total. In her second game, a 2-0 loss against then-No. 13 Oklahoma, she had a no-hitter going into the seventh inning. She allowed a leadoff single then an one-out walk-off home run. She struck out 13 total, including 11 in a row. 

Osorio (8-3) leads the SEC in strikeouts with 109 in 73 1/3 innings pitched.

Over the weekend, senior Leona Lafaele had eight RBIs. She put up seven against Grand Canyon on Saturday after hitting two home runs. She is the first Alabama player this season to have multiple home runs in a game. Alabama had six long balls over the weekend, two of which came from Lafaele, another two from junior Marisa Runyon and one each from freshman Reagan Dykes and senior Haylie McCleney.

Runyon hit .600 over the weekend with a pair of doubles to go along with the home runs. She also walked four times.

Alabama (26-5) stayed at No. 6 in the rankings despite the loss. In out-of-conference matchups with ranked teams, the Crimson Tide is 4-2 this season. Overall, it’s 5-4.

The team takes on Alcorn State (7-13) on Tuesday at 6 p.m. at Rhoads before hosting No. 16 Missouri (20-4) for a three-game series starting Saturday.