Crimson Tide soccer falls to LSU, ending 3-game winning streak

The Alabama soccer team ended its three-game winning streak Sunday, falling to LSU 2-1 in double overtime. The Crimson Tide (5-7, 3-2 SEC), had the opportunity to take the No. 1 spot in the SEC but fell short, allowing the Tigers to sneak in the final goal.

“You have to give LSU credit because they hung in there and fought to the very end,” head coach Todd Bramble said. “We had them on the ropes for long stretches during the game. We just couldn’t finish the job, unfortunately. It’s a bitter disappointment for us now, but I’m really proud of the effort of our team. We were clearly the better team, but we just let them off the hook.”

What started out as a rainy day left both teams frustrated in the first half. Neither team scored during the half, and the rain only made things more complicated. Senior Sophie Campise said the downpour throughout the first and part of the second halves made things more challenging.

“It definitely makes [playing] sloppier,” Campise said. “Things skip and things bounce the way we’re not used to it, but the thing is that we are such a hard working team that it played to our advantage. We were on top of things. It didn’t seem to affect us too much.”

For the first time in three games, Alabama didn’t score in the first half. This was also the first time the Crimson Tide had trailed in three games.

“We played a good game, we played hard, but sometimes you can be the better team and lose,” Campise said. “There’s a reason they are undefeated. They are a good team.”

During the second half, LSU scored the first goal of the game. Shortly after, Campise, assisted by sophomore Katie Bourgeois, scored Alabama’s only goal, tying up the game.

“The space was open, and we knew it,” Campise said. “We talked about it at halftime to exploit that space. Katie said she didn’t even look, she heard me and kind of got a touch, and I had to get it out. I didn’t even see it go in.”

After Campise’s goal, both teams struggled to get another goal, sending the game into overtime. The first overtime flew by quickly because of the ball staying primarily at midfield. LSU scored less than two minutes into the second overtime.

Alabama outshot LSU 18-7 but couldn’t finish out the game. Bramble said the team could be upset for a bit but had to come out ready to work before the South Carolina game.

“We have to look forward,” Campise said. “We have an unbelievable opportunity this Friday to play South Carolina on their home turf, so we just have to go in their happy and take this disappointment and turn it into some really great training sessions.”

Alabama heads to South Carolina Friday, Oct. 11, to play against the Gamecocks. The Crimson Tide won’t play at home until Oct. 18.