Tide prepares for weekend games

With the hardest game of the conference season behind it, the Alabama Crimson Tide soccer team prepares for two home games this weekend against Vanderbilt and Tennessee.

Though Alabama is currently 2-6 (0-1 SEC), coach Todd Bramble said last week’s loss to Florida marked the last tough conference game of the season. Alabama plays more like Vanderbilt than Florida, he said.

“They are completely different from the way they approach the game,” Bramble said. “Florida is a really patient, passing-oriented team, and Vanderbilt is a very direct, up-and-down-the-field team. It’s an evenly matched game, an exciting game.”

Alabama will take on Vanderbilt Friday night at the Alabama soccer stadium. The Crimson Tide will then face the Tennessee Volunteers Sunday afternoon. Senior Kendall Khanna said the team is ready for the weekend and had learned a lot from the Florida game.

“We’re just focusing on ourselves and what we need to do [to win each game],” Khanna said. “We’ve changed our formation. We’re focusing on going on from here. We have two home games this weekend. We’re looking forward to the weekend and bringing all that we can.”

Khanna, a Colorado native, has been an integral part of the team since her freshman year. As a freshman, she started in 13 of 18 games and took 31 shots. She played in all 19 games last year, only having four starts, but took 38 shots.

“Kendall is a very good athlete. She’s got a really, really high level of fitness, and she’s fast,” Bramble said. “Those elements can cause difficulties for the other team. Whether she is playing the role of a defender or the role of an attacker, she can be tough to deal with.”

As her senior season plays out, Khanna said she is trying to be supportive of her team while enjoying the time she has left. She said her favorite part about playing for Alabama is the bond she has with the team –something she said she will miss most.

“I’m just trying to enjoy every moment,” Khanna said. “In the past, I’ve stressed over things, and I over-think a lot. I’m focusing on having fun and doing the best I can and not worrying about the little things that don’t matter.”

Vanderbilt and the Crimson Tide tied 3-3 last year in double overtime. Khanna helped secure the draw with two shots and one assist.

Fortunately for the Tide, the Commodores are coming off an SEC loss against LSU. As for Tennessee, the Volunteers will travel to LSU before playing Alabama on Sunday.