Multicultural greeks aim for diversity

Twenty-six percent of the University’s undergraduate students are involved in one of the 48 greek organizations on campus, according to the Office of Greek Affairs. While this may be considered common knowledge to the average student on the Quad, few students may realize that three of the 48 greek organizations are 100 percent multicultural.

While small in size and young on campus, the UA chapters of Sigma Lambda Beta, Delta Xi Phi and Sigma Lambda Gamma not only work to create a strong brotherhood or sisterhood, but they also strive to accept all races, creeds and colors.

“We’re the only multicultural fraternity on campus,” Cameron West, president of Sigma Lambda Beta, said. “We’re not only diverse in race and creed but also among religious beliefs. It’s a really interesting group of people, but it provides us each with the opportunity to learn and grow from each other.”

According to West, the three multicultural organizations make up the United Greek Council, which was formed in early 2009. West said the main difference between the multicultural organizations and the other greek organizations on campus is that the members of UGC are 100 percent multicultural.

“Other greek organizations do have multicultural members, but unlike our fraternities and sororities their goal is not to be 100 percent,” West said.

Another difference is in the UGC members’ recruitment process. Unlike the Panhellenic Association’s mass recruitment on campus in August, UGC fraternities and sororities participate in delayed recruitment, said Tiffany Probasco, Sigma Lamda Gamma’s national advisor. Interested new students are not allowed to seek membership until they have accumulated 12 hours of coursework at the University.

“Interested new members attend an information meeting in the fall and then participate in an application process,” Probasco said. “We want to make sure the new members’ goals align with the goals and principles of our organization. We are a very private organization so the process is longer, including interviews, a test and exercises.”

While the application process for membership may be different, Probasco said members of the UGC participate in similar activities as other greek organizations.

“Our chapters engage in community service, scholastics and social activities just like any other greek organization,” Probasco said. “Our goal, however, is to enlighten the campus and community about multiculturalism and teach people to be more open-minded.”

“We are here—we may be a lot smaller, but we are here,” West said.

In the original version of this story, the national adviser for Sigma Lambda Gamma was misidentified as Tiffany Reese. Her correct name is Tiffany Probasco. Also, the sorority listed as Delta Chi Phi is actually named Delta Xi Phi.