New program allows students to donate unused meal plans

Student 2 Student, a newly launched meal plan program created in partnership with Bama Dining, the Parents Association, Dean of Students and the Student Government Association, will allow students to donate meal plans to other students in hardship.

The idea for the program came about in October after board members of the Parents Association noticed that some students were failing to use all of the meal plans they’d purchased at the beginning of the semester.  

“We got together with Bama Dining and asked how we could utilize some of these meals to assist students in need, and this program became the result,” said Sara Hartley, assistant director of parent programs.

Hartley said she believes the program helps foster stronger relationships between students at the University.

“Student 2 Student can really help form a sense of community on campus,” she said. “Whether a student is donating a meal or receiving a meal, the sense of family that each student feels through Student 2 Student makes a huge difference in their UA experience.”

SGA Executive Vice President Nicole Bohannon said she hopes Student 2 Student will help alleviate some of the financial problems for students who can’t afford their own meal plans, as well as give aid to students who are unable to use all of their meals before the end of the semester.

“The program came about because so many students with meal plans do not use all of them and see it as a waste of meals for which they have already paid,” Bohannon said. “At the same time, higher tuition and economic depression has caused many students to struggle to make ends meet in college.”

The program launched this summer, and more than 110 meals were donated to the program, Kristina Hopton-Jones, director of the University Dining Service, said.

“We were very pleased with the number of donated meals we received over the summer and hope that the number will only increase,” she said.

Becca Kimrey, a junior majoring in kinesiology and pre-physical therapy, said she thinks one of the best factors of the program is that it keeps meal plans from going unused.

“I know when I was a freshman I had plenty of extra meal plans that just went to waste,” she said. “The meal plans here are so large that I hardly knew anyone who used all their meals.

“I bet a ton of people would donate their unwanted meals to those who really need them.”

Any student who has an active meal plan can donate meals by logging onto his or her myBama account and clicking “Apply for a Meal Plan” under the student life tab. Students are allowed to donate one meal per semester to the program. 

The meals will be donated to students who can’t afford their own meal plan or use all of their meals before the end of the semester. The Office will administer the number of meals received based on need.

Hartley said Student 2 Student is beneficial to everyone who participates.

“Students should feel great about making a donation and assisting their classmates, neighbors and friends,” she said. “One small act of generosity can go a very long way.”

To apply to receive donated meals, students should visit dos.ua.edu. Applications must be returned in person to the Office of the Dean of Students in Room 230 in the Ferguson Center.