Tide splits SEC weekend

Tide splits SEC weekend

Coach Ed Allen said the fatigue associated with multiple road trips was evident during the match, as well as lapses in mental toughness.

“We had some mistakes physically, but I’m probably more concerned about the mental breakdown at times,” he said.

South Carolina took an early lead in set one, leading the Crimson Tide 16-10 before Alabama’s second timeout of the set. A five-point Alabama scoring run pulled the Crimson Tide back into the hunt, with the team gaining its first lead at the 20-19 mark before winning the 
first set 25-23.

On the season, the Crimson Tide boasts a 15-1 record when winning the first set of matches, which Allen said is a confidence boost for the young team.

“I think it’s important for this team that’s growing mentally as competitors,” Allen said. “To be able to get out and have a lead and start off in a positive direction is huge for them.”

The Crimson Tide claimed the second set 25-19 off a kill by freshman Leah Lawrence but could not secure the third. Despite a 6-3 Alabama lead early in the third set, South Carolina continued to compete, claiming the third set 27-25 to keep the match alive.

Riding the momentum of the third set win, the Gamecocks immediately jumped to a 5-0 lead in set four, but Alabama rallied, tying the score at 6. A kill by freshman Kat Hutson secured the fourth set 25-18 and the win for the Crimson Tide.

Lawrence led the team with the highest hitting percentage in the match at .500, knocking in 11 kills and leading the team with three solo blocks in what Allen called her best offensive match of 
the season.

“I felt like I played well, but there’s always room for improvement,” 
Lawrence said.

Friday, the Crimson Tide traveled to College Station, Texas, to compete against then-No. 19 Texas A&M, falling in a five set battle with the Aggies. After rolling to a 2-1 match lead against the second ranked team it has faced in the last two weeks, Alabama dropped the fourth set 20-25 before the Aggies secured the match with a victory in set five.