UA provides student job opportunities

Finding a job is always a challenge for some students, but the University has provided two ways for students to find employment.

The first is the Federal Work-Study Program offered through the Student Financial Aid Office. Don Simmons, the University’s associate director of student financial aid, said the program employs around 650 students per year.

Students are employed in all departments on campus and in programs throughout the community, specifically programs that are part of the United Way, according to Simmons.

To apply for the program, Simmons said, a student must select the option on a Free Application for Federal Student Aid. Receiving a job depends on your expected family contribution being lower than the cost of attendance.

For students who cannot qualify for the Federal Work-Study Program or who qualified but were not given a job, Simmons said the University offers another employment service through myBama.

This program employs about 4,000 students, said Brandi Moses, recruitment coordinator for the University.

“We post many different types of jobs on the jobs.ua.edu website,” Moses said. “We have jobs in retail and sales, IT, web development, intramural sports, office assistant, tutors and sky box servers.”

Moses said there is no official limit on the number of hours a student can work.

“We strongly recommend that students work no more than 25 hours per week, but if the student can handle more hours and the hiring department has the budget, they can work more hours,” Moses said.

Meaghan Lawlor, a junior majoring in communicative disorders, works as a student assistant at the SUPe Store in the Ferguson Center. Lawlor said she likes the job.

“It’s pretty good and really convenient,” Lawlor said. “I just go to class then go to work.”

Lawlor said her job did have some downsides, though.

“They’re kind of stingy about overtime,” Lawlor said. “It kind of depends on where you work [for UA], but working game days is awful.”

Moses said students looking for a job through the University should look at the student assistant tab at jobs.ua.edu.