Jansen, Routliffe win NCAA Doubles Championship

For the first time in program history, the University of Alabama women’s tennis team will bring home a national championship after sophomore Maya Jansen and freshman Erin Routliffe won the NCAA Doubles Championship Monday.

“It felt amazing,” Jansen said. “I think it’s a tribute to everyone that’s been in this program before, but obviously it feels great. Bringing home our first one, I think it’s really something special.”

The pair won in two straight sets, 6-1, 6-0.

“Honestly, I’ve cried. I’ve got a lot of tears,” coach Jenny Mainz said. “It’s emotional for many reasons. I think for it to happen to Jansen and Routliffe, they are two very deserving players. They’ve worked so hard and I think they believed they could do it together. I think Jansen and Routliffe should be commended just for how far they’ve come through the course of the season.”

In the 17 years Mainz has been at the helm of the program, she has brought Alabama up from the lowest ranks in the SEC to No. 2 in the country. Now that the Crimson Tide has won its first National Doubles Championship, Alabama can aspire to win the complete NCAA Women’s Tennis Championship.

Before Alabama can look ahead to next season to return for the trophy, the Crimson Tide will revel in its feat. Both Jansen and Mainz said they are still in shock from the victory.

“I honestly can’t describe it,” Jansen said. “It hasn’t really hit me on how it feels, but it feels good. I know it’s part of our whole team’s effort. We wouldn’t be where we are without our teammates along with us. So it just feels great, I can’t really describe it.”

This was the first year for Jansen and Routliffe to be doubles partners. Jansen, who had knee surgery last fall, was out for the fall season before coming back for the spring season. Mainz said the two clicked well together, complementing each other on the court.

Now in the off-season, Jansen said most of the team will be relaxing and taking time to work on their individual game. For her personally, Jansen is taking summer classes and relaxing. She is, however, still enjoying her accomplishment.

“It feels amazing,” Jansen said. “Honestly, it feels amazing to see all your hard work paying off throughout the year. I know when I came in we had a good program, but last year we really worked hard to get to the Sweet Sixteen and we managed to do that. This year, we set new goals, but, honestly, I think it’s the team’s hard work that has helped accomplish our goals.”

(See also “Women’s tennis team reaches program firsts“)