Tide football game moved to a Thursday, fall break cut a day short

The University of Alabama and Georgia State University have mutually agreed to move the date of their 2010 football game to Thursday, November 18, according to a UA Athletics press release.

The contest was changed from its original date of Saturday, Nov. 20. Kickoff time for the game at Bryant-Denny Stadium has not been determined.

“We have a number of scheduling challenges this year in football and this was the best way for us to deal with one of those,” Athletics Director Mal Moore said in the press release. “We explored all options available to us, with our players’ healthy and safety in mind. This was our best remedy. We deeply appreciate everyone’s cooperation, particularly Dr. Witt and Georgia State.”

The change will give the Crimson Tide some breathing room before their November 26 Iron Bowl bout against the Auburn Tigers.

To accommodate the game the University has canceled class on November 18 and added a day of class on October 28, what was supposed to be the first day of fall break. The change was made “to provide the best environment for the campus community and thousands of visitors who will come to campus for the game,” according to an e-mail the University sent to all students. Typically fall break is a four-day break in October, but this year it will only be three days due to the changes.

Look for more information and reaction in the July 8 edition of The Crimson White.