Daines sees success in last match

The end of an era came Sunday when an Alabama women’s tennis senior played her last regular season home match. Mary Anne Daines was acknowledged for her accomplishments on senior day when the Crimson Tide defeated the Missouri Tigers 4-0.

“It was a real great day,” Daines said. “It was fun to be a part of it and to see how it helped the team come along.”

Sophomore Maya Jansen clinched Alabama’s second straight match with her 6-4, 6-1 victory. Jansen had the match-clinching point against Texas A&M on Friday. The 4-0 win increases Alabama’s record to 18-3 (10-1 SEC). Missouri falls to 6-19 (0-11).

“You couldn’t have scripted the weekend any better,” Alabama coach Jenny Mainz said. “I’m proud of the team.”

(See also “Tide women’s tennis team defeats Aggies“)

The Crimson Tide got to a quick start by winning the doubles point. Mainz stuck with the new doubles lineups that were used Friday. Junior Emily Zabor and freshman Danielle Spielmann won 8-0 on court three. Junior Luicelena Perez and freshman Erin Routliffe claimed the second doubles win 8-3 on court two.

Spielmann quickly added to the one-point lead when she won 6-1, 6-1 in singles. Routliffe followed her up with a 6-1, 6-3 win to give Alabama a 3-0 lead.

“I thought the team did a great job of playing out of respect of Mary Anne Daines and her senior day,” Mainz said. “It was a great way to finish at home for the regular season.”

For Daines, it was the last regular season home match of her career. Daines compiled a large list of accomplishments over the past four years in Tuscaloosa. While playing on court one for the Crimson Tide all four years, Daines has been a two-time All-American, once in singles and once in doubles, and a member of the 2013 ITA All-Star Team. She is a three-time First-Team All-SEC selection and was the 2011 SEC Freshman of the Year and ITA Southern Region Rookie of the Year. Daines is fourth on the Crimson Tide’s career singles victories list with 89. She has also been in the national standings, ranking as high as No. 10 in singles and No. 2 in doubles, which is the highest ranking in Alabama history. Her final ranking of No. 15 at the end of the 2012 season is the second-highest final ranking ever by a Crimson Tide player.

(See also “Men’s tennis to use momentum against Aggies“)

“She’s excelled beyond measure. We are really proud of what she’s accomplished and what she’s done here at Alabama, not only on the tennis court, but also in the classroom,” Daines’ father, Garrett Mcfarlane, said. “And [we are proud of] all the people she’s been able to touch and be part of their lives. That’s the best part.”

Daines’ father hit the honorary first serve to his daughter at the beginning of her match.

“It was kind of an honor to get chosen, and I just didn’t want to double-fault, but it was nice to be able to be part of the day,” Mcfarlane said.

If Alabama keeps up the winning pace, the Tide has a chance to play at home again and host the regionals May 9-11.

“I really hope we get to host regionals. Nothing’s set in stone, so that’s why we just have to keep working hard and keep getting better,” Daines said.

(See also “Tide women’s tennis team hosts final home matches“)