Alabama women’s tennis team prepares for tough competition

The No. 8 Alabama women’s tennis team is on a winning streak. After a 4-2 victory over rival Auburn Friday, the Crimson Tide has won nine straight matches.

Alabama was in the same position last year when they were approaching the weekend against Florida, but the streak stopped at nine. This year, the team is looking to extend that streak to 10 and 11 when South Carolina and No. 5 Florida come to Tuscaloosa this weekend.

“We’ve talked about all season just putting in the work, day in day out, and [head coach] Jenny [Mainz] has said the results will come,” sophomore Maya Jansen said. “I think winning nine in a row obviously shows that.”

(See also “Women’s tennis team travels to face Auburn“)

The South Carolina Gamecocks, who have a 10-6 record, will be in Tuscaloosa Friday at 5 p.m. They have lost four straight games in SEC play with a 1-4 record, and they have a 0-3 record on the road.

“I saw that they’ve lost four straight, but they are in the SEC – look at the teams, look at the rankings,” Mainz said. “You could be at the bottom of the SEC and be a top 25, 30 team.”

Alabama will face the No. 5 Florida Gators. The Gators on Sunday (12-3) are coming off their first SEC loss to the No. 3 Georgia Bulldogs. Senior Mary Anne Daines said she hopes the team can get over the hump and beat Florida.

(See also “Women’s tennis has grown under Mainz“)

“I think just treating it like every other match,” Daines said. “You know they are obviously really good, but it’s not anything special. We just need to go out, play our game, play on our terms, play hard and results will come.”

Daines and the Crimson Tide have not beaten Florida since she joined the team. Florida has won the SEC regular season 10 times since 2000, including the past four years.

“Honestly, I think our Alabama team this year can play with anybody,” Mainz said. “You have to believe that you can beat them.”

(See also “Women’s tennis defeats Cavaliers in final match“)