Alabama sweeps weekend matches

The No. 10 Alabama women’s tennis team swept the weekend against two Mississippi teams. The Crimson Tide beat Mississippi State on Friday 4-0 and Ole Miss on Sunday 4-0.

“Being able to start with two wins like that, it sets a statement for the other teams we will play,” freshman Danielle Spielmann said.

The Sunday match began with doubles, and courts one and three were split between the Crimson Tide and Rebels. The point was decided on court two, where Spielmann and senior Mary Anne Daines were battling against Ole Miss’ Marija Milutinovic and Caroline Rohde-Moe. The match was close at 5-4. Daines and Spielmann finished the match 8-5, which clinched the first point.

(See also “Women’s tennis defeats Cavaliers in final match“)

Coach Jenny Mainz explained how important that match was.

“Huge. They buckled down and locked down what they needed to do,” Mainz said. “It was [a] very good, competitive match.”

The wind was strong, and the players had to make a lot of adjustments.

“You have to massage the wind,” Mainz said. “I told my doubles team to stay aggressive up the middle.”

The Crimson Tide carried that momentum to singles. Freshman Erin Routliffe won 6-1, 6-1. Maya Jansen followed her up with a 6-4, 6-3 win. Ole Miss’ Erin Stephens won three straight games and was looking to come back, but junior Emily Zabor put it away 6-2, 6-3.

(See also “Women’s tennis has grown under Mainz“)

Her win clinched the match.

“It was fun, but I always say it doesn’t really matter who gets the clinching point,” Zabor said. “It’s a team win, and I just happened to get it.”

Zabor’s teammates made a statement in the SEC this weekend. The Tide won both matches in a dominating fashion and are now 2-0 in the SEC. Friday, Alabama had no trouble with Mississippi State, even without Daines playing in singles.

“What I like is we came out and both matches and beat them, “ Mainz said. “We beat both of these teams with authority.”

Alabama improves to 10-2 and will face LSU on Friday.

(See also “Tide women’s tennis team takes down Georgia State“)