Alabama women’s tennis team claims first SEC win

The No. 10 Alabama women’s tennis team was back home Friday night after winning the Blue Gray National Tennis Classic last week. The Crimson Tide began SEC play with Mississippi State visiting Tuscaloosa. The Bulldogs came in with a 5-1 record, but could not finish with a win. Alabama won the match 4-0 and advanced to a 9-2 record (1-0 SEC).

“It feels amazing because we have been working so hard, and right now you can see the results,” junior Luicelena Perez said.

Perez played the No. 5 spot in singles for the first time this season. She came up big and beat Mississippi State junior Naomi Tran 6-0, 6-3. Perez was throwing fists in the air and yelling the whole match, en route to the big win that clinched the victory for the Crimson Tide 4-0.

“She’s vibrant,” Alabama coach Jenny Mainz said. “She has so much energy, and that’s how she plays.”

Alabama got off to a quick start in the match. All three doubles teams were up 4-1.

Then rain started to fall. At 5:35 p.m. play was suspended and did not pick up for another hour. At 6:30 p.m. the matches resumed indoors. Alabama started back slow but finished the doubles point well and clinched the point with a 8-6 win from Daines and freshman Danielle Spielmann.

“We didn’t keep that pressure on that we had outside,” Mainz said. “We got a little sloppy and then regained our composure.”

Daines was scratched from the singles lineup after doubles. Daines was scheduled to play No. 1 singles. All the players moved up one spot in the original lineup, and freshman Natalia Maynetto filled in the No. 8 spot.

“We were resting her,” Mainz said. “We were trying to keep her fresh and ready.”

Mainz said that Daines will be back for Sunday’s match against Ole Miss. Maynetto who wasn’t even scheduled to play, claimed the first singles point decisively 6-0, 6-0. Her win put the Crimson Tide up 2-0.

“I felt really good out there and things went my way.” Maynetto said.

Jansen quickly followed her up with a 6-1, 6-1 victory, handing Mississippi State’s Rosaline Dion’s first loss. Then Perez finished it up.

Alabama’s next match will be Sunday vs. Ole Miss at 1 p.m.

“It’s a strong start,” Mainz said. “Take it, put it in your pocket and get ready for the next one.”