Soccer team making changes before taking on Tigers, Blazers

The University of Alabama soccer team will look to rebound from back-to-back losses against Colorado and No.20 Denver in the Denver Invitational last weekend as they travel to play Memphis on Friday before returning to Tuscaloosa on Sunday to play in-state rival, UAB.

In the first game of the Invitational on Friday, Colorado (6-0) defeated Alabama 1-0 in overtime after a record night by both Colorado’s offense and Alabama goalkeeper Emily Rusk. The Buffaloes recorded a program record of 33 shots in regulation, but failed to score until freshman Brie Hooks scored with an assist from Madison Krauser in the sixth minute of overtime. Rusk collected 19 saves in the loss, the second most since Amy Pseja set the record of 24 in 1994.

The Crimson Tide then took on Denver on Sunday in the final game of the invitational. Denver, fresh off its first tournament win against Tennessee-Martin, shut out Alabama 2-0 on its way to a program-best 6-0 start.

“We are certainly shocked and disappointed in many ways about the way the season has started, but there were signs on Sunday that we saw that give us hope going toward the future.” Coach Todd Bramble said.

That future definitely includes Rusk, who has earned the starting spot moving forward after her performance over the weekend, Bramble said. The sophomore recorded 26 total saves for the tournament, including her record game.

“For the team, that’s not really a record you want to break,” Rusk said. “Having to defend that many shots … if it happens, it happens [breaking the record], but everybody would rather the ball be on the other side of the field.”

Alabama’s offense, which has been outscored 9-3 on the season, is working this week to help take some of the heat away from Rusk and the defense.

“We have got to generate some offense,” Bramble said. “It doesn’t take a rocket scientist to figure that out. Our defense has been under a tremendous amount to pressure, and we, as a coaching staff, have to make some changes, whether that is personnel or from a systematic standpoint, to give our a offense a better chance to be successful and take some pressure off our defense.”

These changes will be put to the test this weekend, with both Memphis (4-1) and UAB (5-1) fielding strong squads. Memphis freshman goalkeeper Maryse Bard-Martel has only allowed four goals on the season, while UAB’s offense already put away 19 goals this year.

“In practice, coming out every single day, working hard and never taking a day on this field for granted is all you can do to get prepared for these games,” Rusk said.