Center for Teaching and Learning offers finals seminars

Finals week is the time of year that has college students biting nails, pulling hair and having mental breakdowns. The stakes are high, the pressure intense. So how do students manage to handle the stress and pass the test? Students can attend seminars and workshops held by the Center for Teaching and Learning.

The Center’s courses are designed to teach students, especially freshmen, how to deal with the pressures of university life and instill good, healthy study habits that will help the student succeed. Assistant director for the CTL Richard Livingston hosts these workshops.

“It’s mostly general advice specifically geared toward newer students,” Livingston said. “A lot of it is general common-sense things.”

Livingston’s seminars include tips on preparing for exams and also “Test-Taking Hints” for before and during the test. According to these guidelines, one of the easiest and most helpful things you can do in preparation is simply look at your final exam schedule in the beginning of the semester.

“It seems silly,” Livingston said. “Most students wait too long to find out their exam schedules. It’s important to have a time management plan and know which exams are comprehensive or more difficult.”

Some other studying tips the workshops cover are avoiding distractions, taking frequent breaks and taking care of physical and emotional health. According to Livingston, it is important for students to stay away from distractions such as TV, Internet and cell phones. Also, he points out that non-stop studying for hours on end is not an effective means of preparation.

“Long, marathon cram sessions are not effective,” Livingston said. “The material is much easier to retain if you break it up into shorter segments.”

Another significant study-tip most students overlook is simply taking care of oneself. These seminars stress that junk food and caffeine are not healthy and can interfere with the learning process. Though they may increase energy momentarily, they cause anxiety and later drowsiness. Also, students are encouraged to exercise before a test because it increases oxygen to the brain and reduces anxiety.

Although these all seem to be valid and effective study tips, do students really include them in their preparation routines?

“I usually just cram,” said David Matthews, a senior majoring in advertising. “Sometimes I spent 10 or 11 hours a day at the library.”

Matthews said students, especially freshman, worry too much about exams. He reflected that he studied far harder than he needed to during his first year, and his exams were not as difficult as he anticipated. Matthews said he would advise freshman to learn from his experience.

“I’d say don’t try as hard as you think you need to,” Matthews said.

As backwards as this advice may seem, other students seem to agree with this statement.

“To be honest, I don’t really study that hard,” Sarah Jane Crane, a sophomore majoring in elementary education, said. “I’m not much of a worrier.”

Though students agree that the study tips provided by Livingston and the CTL are helpful, they are not generally followed. In fact, most students appear to do the opposite of what the workshops suggest. However, students do seem to realize that stress and anxiety only make exams harder.

“Don’t stress too much about it,” Crane said. “If you stress too much, you’ll worry yourself to death.”

Tips for Finals

Look at your finals schedule at the beginning of the semester Avoid distractions such as cell phones, TV and Internet Take frequent breaks Avoid junk food and caffeine