Crimson Tide could play overseas in near future

With the announcement on Sunday that Penn State and The University of Central Florida will be opening the 2014 college football season at Croke Park in Dublin, Ireland, the NCAA has taken another step to increase the popularity of American football worldwide.

Like the NFL, which has had international games in London since 2005, the NCAA is trying to help get football the recognition it deserves on the world stage just as the other “big” sports – baseball and basketball – have.

Along with the announcement, it was reported by The Journal, an Irish publication, that the Gaelic Athletic Association is looking to make a five-year deal to host more games in Croke Park in 2016 and 2018. These games would feature high-profile teams that are interested, including The University of Alabama.

Although a game featuring the Crimson Tide would surely be a success, most UA students and fans would have to witness it through their television screens.

For those not attending the game, watching it on television shouldn’t be a problem, as long as they set an alarm clock. Because of the time zone difference, Penn State and UCF will be televised at 7:30 a.m. Tailgating at breakfast may soon become a reality if these games continue the success of last year’s Emerald Isle Classic.

The Emerald Isle Classic opened up the 2012 season with Notre Dame and Navy playing at Aviva Stadium in Dublin. Notre Dame won the game 50-10 in front of a crowd of more than 48,000.

The same process could be used to get those from countries overseas to come to the United States, instead of taking the games overseas. With packages offered for those interested in the sport, they could expand its popularity without alienating the fans they already have.

It has also been reported Notre Dame could possibly be returning to Dublin for either the 2016 and 2018 game, which could put them in a rematch of the 2012 BCS National Championship game with Alabama.

While only the matchup between Penn State and UCF is official, Alabama fans may soon be traveling a lot farther outside of the Southeastern Conference to watch the Tide play.