SGA presidency prepares students for leadership positions

By Chris Izor and Jasmine Cannon

More than twenty years after serving as SGA President, John Merrill announced his candidacy for Alabama State House of Representatives.

“It is my belief,” he said, reflecting on his time at the University, “that my involvement in the Student Government Association at The University of Alabama was one of the most outstanding opportunities that I had the privilege to experience in the area of personal and social growth in preparation for public service.”

Involvement in student government at the collegiate level often opens doors to further public service. The SGA at the University of Alabama, especially the office of the presidency, has a rich history of producing important state and national figures.

In the past fifty years, success seems to follow a multitude of SGA presidents. Many have become partners in law firms. Tommy Wells, elected SGA President in 1972, served as president of the American Bar Association for the 2009-2010 year. Gordon Martin, elected president in 1982, is currently the Senior Vice President at Alabama Power. Lynn Yeldell, the first female SGA President elected in 1990, was Chief Operating Officer of Fastband Globalcast financial services company, as well as co-founding L Style G Style magazine.

Merrill had similar opportunities after his time as president. “There is no doubt that having had the privilege to serve as SGA President has positively affected my career,” he said. “I was offered an internship at The Chamber of Commerce of West Alabama because my experiences at the University uniquely qualified me for the position.”

Many interesting figures in recent Alabama history served as SGA President during their time at the University. Jim Ziegler, elected President in 1972, was the lawyer who recently defended protesters of the removal of Roy Moore’s Ten Commandments statue. Just last year, William Blount, an investment banker and former Chairman of the Alabama Democratic Party, pled guilty to bribery and conspiracy charges in the Larry Langford trial. Long before that in 1975, Blount held office as SGA President at the University.

Perhaps the most prominent past SGA President is former Governor Don Siegelman, elected to his collegiate office in 1968. Siegelman served at different times in all four of the major state offices—Secretary of State, Attorney General, Lieutenant Governor, and Governor. Siegelman was found guilty of bribery, mail fraud and obstruction of justice in 2006, with some sentences overturned on appeal.

The SGA president is a position that only 97 students have held since the organization was founded in 1914. Competition for the top spot in SGA can be quite intense, which should be expected of an office of its stature. Like in a national election, the president position is the most important. He or she will lead the student government for a complete year with an opportunity to put their stamp on campus.

The significance of holding the office is clear to everyone from first year students to professors who have been members of the faculty for long enough to noticed its effects. Norman Baldwin received his bachelor’s degree in political science from the Capstone and is currently a political science professor at the University.

The position is of great significance, Baldwin said.

“It’s just an incredible, unique opportunity to bring about change on campus. You [the president] have access to the President of the University and the provost, which is very special and an enormous influence, especially with having a student oriented president and provost,” he said.

Dr. Baldwin also noted that the SGA president also serves as a representative for the board of trustees on campus.

Like other organizations, being involved and holding an office can be beneficial for future endeavors. As one can witness with many of the University’s past SGA presidents who are now lawyers, COOs and public officials, holding the position can be valuable for the future. After getting the first taste of SGA in middle school and high school, college SGA provides the first test with a large number of people.

“I think it provides a wonderful experience for operating in a political environment. Officers are developing skills for politics they can use later in life whether it be in politics or anything,” Baldwin said. “They develop empathy and sympathy that will be valuable for future employment. SGA prepares for politics of any work environment and the political world.”

John Merrill agrees. His experiences as president led to his employment at the Chamber of Commerce of West Alabama, but he does not believe that the SGA Presidency predisposes a student to political success.

“However,” he said, “I do believe that the SGA is a very fertile training ground for those who aspire to public service.”

“There is no doubt that these individuals learned a great deal and perhaps even honed their political skills while serving the student body, but I do not believe that they achieved success in elective office because they were involved in SGA,” he added.

Whatever the case, Merrill’s time as president was just an early step in a strong career in public service. Victory for him in November would be one more accomplishment for the office of the presidency beyond the scope of the University.

Read more about the SGA in Changing Tides.