Event to honor UA, Black Belt connection

The University of Alabama Honors College will host an event celebrating the University’s dedication to engaging with the Black Belt region of Alabama. “Promise and Possibility: An Evening Celebrating the Future of the Black Belt,” is one of many events hosted to celebrate work throughout the Black Belt and connect students, faculty and staff.

To celebrate the desegregation of the University in June 1963, many events sponsored by a variety of organizations on campus will be hosted throughout the year with the theme of “Through the Doors.”

“‘Promise and Possibility’ is a chance for us to bring individuals across campus together with community members to celebrate the various creative and collaborative initiatives in the Black Belt, as well as to encourage new opportunities for engagement,” Wellon Bridgers, an honors college staff member, said.

According to the Encyclopedia of Alabama, the Black Belt refers to the central region of Alabama named for its dark, rich soils, as well as the main place of activity for the civil rights movement in the South.

“The Black Belt is a beautiful, diverse and complex region,” Bridgers said. “While it faces many significant challenges as an economically impoverished area, the power of its community members, cultural distinctiveness and geographic natural beauty make it a place of great possibility.”

During the function, there will be a panel discussion and students will give poster presentations of their work regarding the Black Belt.

“Students can not only learn more about the region and the many possibilities for meaningful engagement, from academic to preprofessional to service experiences, but can also hear more from leaders in a variety of areas who have invested themselves in unique ways,” Bridgers said.

The event will take place April 18 in Russell Hall Auditorium beginning with informal student poster presentations from 5-5:30 p.m., followed by panel discussion until 6:30 p.m.

“Through this event, the Honors College hopes to celebrate that friendship through camaraderie, better unite students and professors across campus committed to Alabama’s Black Belt, and discuss possibilities for future,” Chris Joiner, a senior majoring in biology, said.

The event is free of charge and all students, faculty and staff are encouraged to attend.

“This event is for all individuals who care about our state, its vibrant communities, and want to see great things happen therein,” Bridgers said.