SGA hosts Unity Day to bring campuses together

The University of Alabama Student Government Association is hosting Unity Day on Friday to encourage UA students to forge a closer relationship with students at Stillman College.

Unity Day allows students from both schools to come together to socialize and gain a better understanding of life at each school.

Shalyn Smith, Stillman SGA president, said she hopes the event will offer students an opportunity to clear up misconceptions they may have about the other school.

“We have Stillman, a historically black college and UA, a historically white institution, but we want to show the community that we’re not necessarily segregated, you know. We all love each other and we’re united,” Smith said.

Smith said Unity Day is an annual event that has been hosted for about five years, sometimes including Shelton State Community College as well.

The event will take place Friday on Greek Row at Stillman College. Buses will be available to transfer UA students from the Ferguson Center at 3:45 p.m. UA students can also receive two Panhellenic points for attending.

The 4 p.m. event will include free food, a performance from the Afro-American gospel choir and games like ultimate Frisbee and manhunt.

“Manhunt is essentially a giant game of hide and seek,” she said. “Ultimately it’s one of the most fun things you can do when you’re not five years old.”

Jimmy Taylor, current president of the SGA and former vice president of external affairs, has worked closely to coordinate the event with University programs. Like Smith, he said he sees the event as an opportunity for students to unite across college campuses.

“I think it’s going to be a great opportunity for Stillman and UA to have a stronger relationship,” Taylor said. “We’re all a part of the city of Tuscaloosa and want the same things, so I think we can accomplish a lot more by working together.”

Madolyn Price, a graduate assistant for University Programs who has worked on the marketing side of the event, said she expects Unity Day to have a positive impact on UA students.

“It strives for better relations between college campuses,” Price said. “It will give UA students an opportunity to experience interacting with other schools in Tuscaloosa, which they might not get to do that often.”

Smith said though this will be her first year coordinating Unity Day, she has been to previous events that turned out quite successful.

“There should definitely be a big crowd,” Smith said. “We will certainly have a lot of food for one. I think it’s going to be a lot of fun.”

Smith said SGA members from the University and Stillman will also meet Friday morning for a community service project with Habitat for Humanity.

Unity Day is open to all students. Registration is free at uaferguson.tix.com.