Alabama prepares for 1st scrimmage, adjusts after break

The University of Alabama’s first day back in practice after spring break was a lot like what many students probably felt like returning to class.

“It was what you’d expect for a day back after eight or nine days off,” head coach Nick Saban said. “We probably took a step back having this break. We need to get people back on track and doing the right thing, and playing to a higher standard, paying a little better attention to detail.”

Linebacker C.J. Mosley said it was especially hard for some of the bigger players who have to get back in shape in such a short amount of time. Alabama will practice again Wednesday, where it will try to get back in full form before its first scrimmage of the spring on Saturday.

“It’s hard. Any time you get a vacation – summer job or growing up or whenever – and you get a vacation then you have to come back, it’s always like, ‘Man, we gotta come back already?’” quarterback AJ McCarron said. “But like I said, it’s spring ball. We’re going to have rough days, you just gotta fight through it and be ready to practice Wednesday.”

It was also one of the hottest days of spring practice so far, with temperatures reaching a high of 75 degrees.

“I think it was more of we hadn’t really had any kind of hot weather yet,” guard Anthony Steen said. “When I went home for my spring break, it was cold. The coldest day was 25 degrees. Today, it felt hot, and we just weren’t used to it. I definitely feel it right now.”

Tide prepares for first scrimmage

Alabama will hold its first spring scrimmage Saturday in Bryant-Denny Stadium, the first of three which will conclude with the annual A-Day game. It will be a chance for players to tackle each other again and for early enrollees to line up against Alabama players.

“I remember the first time I got laid out by Dont’a [Hightower] on a linebacker blitz,” Steen said of his first scrimmage. “I wasn’t even looking. I don’t think I’ll ever forget it.”

Saban dismisses Bielema’s comments

New Arkansas coach Brett Bielema made news last weekend when he took a few shots at Saban during a booster club function Thursday. According to Arkansas fan website Hootens.com, the former University of Wisconsin coach told the crowd, “I didn’t come here to play Alabama. I came here to beat Alabama.”

Bielema also compared his record at Wisconsin (68-24) to Saban when he was at Michigan State (34-24-1). However, when asked about the comments Monday, Saban simply shrugged them off.

“I really don’t have any reaction to it,” Saban said. “I’m really concerned about what we do here with our players and how we try to get the people in our organization to play at a high standard.”

Male body dissatisfaction increases

UA opera theatre to perform annual ‘One Night Only’

Service transforms studying abroad