Women’s tennis team defeats No. 6 LSU Tigers 6-1 Sunday

The University of Alabama women’s tennis team defeated the LSU Tigers 6-1 on Sunday. The No. 6 team ended the event after a compelling singles match.

The Crimson Tide won its fourth straight conference match this season leaving it with a record of 12-1. Coach Jenny Mainz said the previous conference struggles continued to contribute to the Tide’s success. Sunday’s meet was the second time this season where the players played outside.

“I thought we did a great job, considering the circumstances,” Mainz said. “The conditions were pretty rough but I thought both teams did a great job controlling everything.”

Alabama started the match strong while playing doubles. Top ranked doubles players, Mary Anne Macfarlane and Alexa Guarachi, bested LSU in a matter of minutes ending their match 8-2. Macfarlane and Guarachi won with a seven-set win over LSU.

“It’s just a jolt to work that fast with the wind,” Mainz said. “Alexa had a great day today and she needed that.”

Antonia Foehse and Maya Jansen defeated their opponents 8-4 after going back and forth with the Tigers. The duo’s win helped secure Alabama its first point against LSU.

Both teams began their singles match effectively and with precision. Guarachi ended the first set 6-0, shutting out LSU. Guarachi’s second set win was more challenging but she ultimately won 6-2. This was her first singles win of the season.

The struggle between the two teams ended with a 2 1/2 hour match between LSU’s Kaitlin Burns and Macfarlane. Both players went back and forth in the first set causing the set to go into a 12-point overtime. LSU ultimately won the first set.

Macfarlane came back in the second set and won 6-4 over LSU taking them into the third tiebreaker set. Macfarlane finished the tiebreaker set 10-7 over LSU.

“[Mary Anne] has been struggling recently and there’s nothing wrong with that,” Mainz said. “Nobody promised that it would be easy. She kept finding ways to [win].”

Macfarlane’s performance ensured that she had to keep up and work for the win before she could claim victory.

“Kaitlin is a really good player and she made me work for it,” Macfarlane said. “You just have to find a way to get it done. She made it really difficult but I feel like I did the best I could in the situation.”

Sophomore Emily Zabor crushed LSU in both sets scoring 6-1 and 6-2. Zabor’s victory helped clinch the Tide’s win. Natalia Maynetto finished her match 6-4 and 6-1.

Alabama’s fourth conference win will help fuel the fire for its next match against Auburn on Friday.