Alabama closes out regular season with crucial game against Georgia

The Alabama men’s basketball team will host the Georgia Bulldogs Saturday March 9 at Coleman Coliseum in its final game of the regular season.

The Crimson Tide (19-11, 11-6 SEC) is in a four-way tie for second place in the Southeastern Conference and will look to better its chances of clinching a two-round bye in the SEC tournament with a victory over the Bulldogs (15-15, 9-8).

But head coach Anthony Grant isn’t worried about the league tournament seeding just yet. His focus and his team’s energy are all on Georgia.

“I think the only thing that we can worry about is ourselves,” Grant said. “Some other things can happen where we can finish anywhere from [No.] 2 to [No.] 6. We’ll worry about that when it comes. Our focus right now is just on Georgia and they’re team and making sure that we’re prepared.”

Alabama defeated Georgia in its first meeting, 52-45. But the Bulldogs are flying high right now, coming off two impressive wins and looking to finish its regular season with three-consecutive victories. On Thursday March 7, Georgia defeated Kentucky 72-62 in Athens, Ga.

For Georgia, sophomore guard Kentavious Caldwell-Pope has been on fire all season long. He averages 18.2 points and seven rebounds per game, which ranks second in the SEC. He is one of only 10 Division I players that have scored in double digits in every game this year.

“In my opinion, they’ve got a guy that’s probably a candidate for Player of the Year in the league in Kentavious Caldwell-Pope,” Grant said. “I think he’s had an outstanding year. He’s really led their team.”

Alabama has lost two-straight contests and hopes to conclude its regular season with a critical win. The Tide can win its 20th game of the season on Saturday, as well as remain undefeated at home in conference play.

Senior guard Andrew Steele, the Tide’s only scholarship senior on this year’s team, will be honored prior to the start of the game for senior night. Walk-on Keon Blackledge will also be honored.

Grant praised the career of his lone scholarship senior for what he’s meant to the program.

“I can’t tell you of another player that really exemplifies what you look for in terms of a competitor, in terms of a teammate, in terms of being coachable, in terms of just being about all the things that you want players in your program to exemplify,” Grant said. “If you’re looking for the definition of a guy that’s going to sacrifice for his team, that’s [Steele].”

Steele said he cherishes his experiences at the Capstone.

“Hopefully I’ll be remembered as somebody who left it out there when I tried to play,” Steele said. “I try my best to be a leader for my teammates, and I try to represent the university well.

“These last five years have probably been the best five years of my life. The last four I couldn’t have asked for a better coach to play for. I think it’s made me a better person.”

At halftime there will also be a celebration for 100 years of basketball at Alabama. Over 100 former players, coaches and trainers will be recognized during the ceremony. The game will tip off at 3 p.m. and will be televised on the SEC Network.