Many vegetarian options available in Tuscaloosa area

Some would consider vegetarian diets strict, especially in a city known for its barbecue.

But, many of Tuscaloosa’s restaurants have vegetarian options that are both inexpensive and convenient.

“You don’t have to pay more or shop at special places if you want to eat healthy,” Caryn Lake, a registered UA dietitian, said.

Rob Alley, an award-winning composer and jazz professor at the University, made the decision to live a mostly vegetarian lifestyle three years ago. Alley was afraid for his own health, and after he and his wife had their daughter Evy, the couple made the conscious decision to change their diet and life.

“I feel much healthier than I did when I was 30, and I’m 42 now,” Alley said.

Despite Tuscaloosa’s notoriously finger-licking reputation, there are vegetarian options throughout local restaurants such as Buffalo Phil’s, Surin of Thailand and Chipotle Mexican Grill.

“The veggie Subway sandwich is healthy and it’s only $5, you can’t beat that,” Alley said.

Moe’s Southwest Grill is consistently good and cheap, and they have tofu and whole wheat tortillas, unlike Chipotle, Alley said.

For a fancier option, Depalma’s Italian Café in downtown Tuscaloosa also has a few options for the anti-meat eater.

“I always order the spinach pasta with marinara,” Ellie Larson, a junior majoring in journalism who made the decision to go vegan four years ago, said.

If you are in the mood for a healthy smoothie or need to stock up on your vitamins and health supplements, you can visit Michael Taylor at Alpha Nutrition, just a few miles west of campus. The owner grew up in Alabama, eating the foods typical of Southern culture, but after gaining enough weight to realize something needed to change, he started understanding the benefits of eating healthy.

Taylor doesn’t claim a vegetarian lifestyle, but rather a Paleo diet, a diet similar to those of the Stone Age, a diet without processed foods.

When it comes to grocery shopping, Manna – the designated local organic grocery store – is not the only option; both Publix and Target offer well-priced organic options.

“Budget has to be taken into consideration. You don’t have to shop somewhere fancy like Manna for organic foods,” Taylor said.

According to an article put out by Harvard Health, a diet without meat can reduce your chance of heart disease by 25 percent and reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.

Research shows that any amount of processed meat is linked to an increased risk of colorectal cancer, according to the American Institute for Cancer Research.

While a vegetarian diet is an ideal way to lead a healthy life, the amount of protein a person needs depends heavily on the individual’s unique lifestyle.

Taylor said a person who works out consistently needs more protein than the average individual and should probably consider a pescatarian diet – a diet that limits a person from eating any meat, with the exception of fish.

Hopping on the health bandwagon allows you to still eat at your favorite restaurants, with a better understanding of what you are putting into your body.

“We are all in charge of our own destiny,” Alley said.

Tide heads to Hilton Head for tournament

YouTube Pilates Cassey Ho helps students save money, stay at home

UA, UAB sponsor art history symposium