Study says 60 percent of internships end in job offers

According to College Plus, a recent nationwide survey shows 80 percent of 2009 graduates who applied for jobs reported they were unable to find a job before graduation. However, according to Forbes magazine, for college students who are working paid internships, 60 percent of the time, that internship results in a job offer.

UA students have taken notice of this increased interest in internship experience from future employers and are taking advantage of a wide variety of internships in their respective fields of study.

Michelle Claiborne, a junior majoring in accounting, has been accepted to work with Southwest Airlines in a corporate tax internship.

“I can’t believe I get to fly for free all summer,” Claiborne said. “I’m also excited that I’ll get some real experience in my major field.”

Whitney Thompson, a junior majoring in biology and dance, said because a lot of her time is spent dancing, she doesn’t have much time to do extracurricular activities in her other major, so she has to use the summer for opportunities like internships.

She is interning this summer with Dr. Jamie Etzel, a private practice located at Ohio Valley Medical Center and Larry Darrah, a nurse practitioner at Center for Pediatrics through Wheeling Hospital.

Thompson said she aspires to work as a pediatrician, and these internships are perfect for her major, because she gets to interact with the children.

“I love working with kids, and I can’t wait to explore what I hope will be my future career,” Thompson said.

Thompson said both offices are close to her home and require her to work different schedules, which is what attracted her to these internships.

“They were both just so willing to help me to find out if medicine is what I truly want to do and to give me some experience in the field,” Thompson said.

Emily Dumas, a senior majoring in German and history education, interned this past summer at the Birmingham Zoo for education.

Working five days a week from 7 a.m. to 3 p.m., Dumas practiced designing lesson plans for children ages 4 to 13. Dumas said she taught camps on some days, while other days were spent working behind the scenes.

“I got to teach the kids all the different facts about animals and science I learned,” Dumas said. “It would be an enthralling experience for any elementary education majors.”

Dumas said the zoo also offers occasional internships for marketing and accounting, as well as for biology majors to follow keepers around. The interns get to see behind-the-scenes features that only specific camps get to see.

Emily Passwaters, a sophomore majoring in telecommunication and film, said her internship this summer will require her to shadow sports reporters who cover the Salisbury Shorebirds, a minor league baseball team, the Baltimore Orioles, NASCAR and the preseason for the Baltimore Ravens.

“I’m really excited because it will give me a glimpse of what my day-to-day life will hopefully look like after college,” Passwaters said. “It’s also exciting to have to dress in business clothing everyday, a big change from the Nike shorts and big T-shirts.”

Emilie Paterson, a senior majoring in psychology, said she interned at a summer camp offered at the Exceptional Foundation in Birmingham, Ala., last summer. Paterson said she was the equivalent of a camp counselor, working everything from field trips, activities and lunches.

“The internship benefited my major because I plan to be a children’s counselor,” Paterson said. “Although I was working with all ages, the internship allowed me to be more extroverted, and how to engage and work with people.”

Paterson said although the younger groups were harder to work with and didn’t always listen or obey rules, the rewarding part for her was seeing through a different perspective.

“I loved to see how talented, fun, loving and smart the children were,” Paterson said. “I absolutely loved it and am grateful for the experience.”

Freshman duo make an impact for women’s team

Tin Top Restaurant and Oyster Bar trades beach atmosphere for quality seafood

Athletes’ GPA keeps up UA’s standard