Big Al performers say charity work most worthwhile experience

A little boy, eyes glazed over, embraced the iconic elephant mascot for the first time in his life.

“The boy’s last request was to see Big Al before he went completely blind,” Justin Sullivan, a senior who performs as Big Al, said. “As soon as he sat on my lap, tears started rolling down my face. It was a truly memorable experience.”

Even though Big Al loves to make appearances at UA sporting events, Sullivan said the mascot’s special appearances such as birthday parties, charity events, school appearances, sporting events and even weddings are what make the experience worthwhile.

Macee Thomas, a junior who also performs as Big Al, said her favorite memory was when Big Al visited the RISE Center and met a little boy who had never smiled before.

“When the little boy reached out and touched Big Al’s trunk, he smiled for the very first time,” Thomas said. “It’s the community service that really makes the difference. To make someone’s day or to turn a person’s mood around is an incredible gift Big Al has on his fans.”

Rachel Coleman, a senior performer for Big Al, said even though each of the National Championships have been unforgettable experiences, her favorite memory as Big Al involves a woman in her early 90s.

“This lady wanted to see Big Al so bad that he made a special house visit,” Coleman said. “All she could do was sit and hold his hand, but she was so happy and content right then. It was the most precious thing I have ever been a part of.”

Without any former experience, Sullivan said auditioning for the role as Big Al was one of the best and boldest decisions he has ever made in college.

“I wanted to do something bigger with my college experience,” Sullivan said. “I knew I couldn’t compete with the athletes here, so the magnitude of trying out became even greater.”

Thomas said no matter the outcome, it is a rewarding audition experience. Even though she comes from an experienced background as her middle and high school’s mascot, Thomas said she was still intimidated auditioning as an incoming freshman.

“Who can say they’ve put on the Big Al suit and ran through the tunnel for the preshow at football games?” Thomas said. “I wanted to have that opportunity to represent something bigger than myself.”

The 2013-2014 Big Al tryouts will be held April 18-20. The open tryout process consists of an interview process, creative improvisational exercises, which include props, and a basic teaching on Big Al’s characteristics and signature moves, such as his belly shake and elephant walk.

“We got to put on the suit on the first day of tryouts,” Sullivan said. “Just the thrill of that made all of us even more excited about auditioning.”

Coleman said the first time she put on the Big Al suit, she had to continuously remind herself of some key rules in bringing his character to life.

“Don’t trip, don’t hit a kid and don’t talk,” Coleman said. “Oh, and don’t act like a girl.”

Students receive a letter toward the end of tryouts announcing if they have moved on to the final cut. Those advancing have the opportunity to perform during the spring A-Day game. Based on the individual’s performance, the judges then select the finalists, which are announced in front of the remaining students.

Miller Coop, one of the five Big Al performers, said Big Al’s character came naturally to him.

“Big Al is a ladies’ man, always has somewhere to be and is always having fun,” Coop said. “Well, maybe I’m not the ladies’ man, but Big Al and I are a lot alike.”

Sullivan said there are many flirting strategies Big Al has to win over the ladies.

“He loves to blow kisses, put his arm around his fans or give a little belly shake,” Sullivan said. “Sometimes Big Al just has to throw in a booty shake every now and then.”

Coop said the craziest experience he had was when Big Al appeared at a wedding; however, this was no ordinary wedding.

“The setting included an Astroturf aisle, two inflatable Big Al’s and a field goal post behind the altar,” Coop said. “The preacher was in a referee outfit, the bride had a signature Alabama ‘A’ on her dress, the groom was in cowboy boots and jeans and best of all, the reception was catered by KFC.”

Coop said Big Al was instructed to interrupt the wedding and escort them out of the Civic Center, where the couple got married. Coop said it was one of the weirdest, yet funnest appearances.

“The biggest lesson I’ve learned as Big Al is humility,” Coop said. “No matter how much blood, sweat and tears I put into making Big Al better, I get none of the praise, glory or honor – Big Al does.”

Like Big Al on Facebook and follow Big Al on Twitter: @Official_Big_Al. For more information on Big Al tryouts, visit www.uabigal.wix.com/rolltide.

UA launches off-campus housing site resource

Political science departments offering new public policy minor

UAPD disperses Harlem Shake crowd, student organizer ticketed