Mobile natives find ways to celebrate Mardi Gras away from home

In Kelsi Taylor’s house, the Mardi Gras decorations go up as soon as the Christmas decorations come down, and that’s the way it’s always been.

Born and raised in America’s oldest Mardi Gras city, Mobile, Ala., Taylor has anxiously awaited the arrival of February for as long as she remembers.

Taylor, her sister and her grandfather began each Mardi Gras season the same as the last, with a chocolate chip cookie dough milkshake from Three George’s parlor and a trip to the floral parade.

“Of course everyone has their favorite parades that they have to go to every year so they can see their favorite floats,” Taylor said. “Most Mobilians will agree that The Mystics of Time is the best parade of the entire Mardi Gras season. You can almost always find people going to the same spot every year for every parade. Everyone claims that their spot is the best and they catch the best stuff there.”

Of course, things have changed since Taylor began studying music therapy at The University of Alabama two years ago. These days she can’t help but to feel a little down during the time of year that once excited her most.

“It’s been hard being in Tuscaloosa with really no way to actually celebrate Mardi Gras,” Taylor said. “But I try to make it as much like home as I can by putting beads everywhere just like my mom and grandmother do. It feels weird going to school on Fat Tuesday, because I’ve never had to in my entire life. I guess I’ll make the most of it and just wear beads around my neck and pretend like I’m there.”

She isn’t alone, though. Mobile, Ala., native Katie Tait, a sophomore studying criminal justice, said she feels a little left after leaving for college. Her family is involved with several Mardi Gras organizations for traditions.

“To Mobile, Mardi Gras is more important than Christmas,” Tait said. “I wasn’t able to go home because I have to work every weekend. I wasn’t able to celebrate this year at all.”

Tait and Taylor may be in luck this year, though. Although they’ll miss the parades, the UA French house will host its second annual Mardi Gras celebration Tuesday, Feb. 12 7-10 p.m. at the French House on campus.

“The event is targeted toward anyone interested in French and Francophone culture, with a special interest in students, faculty and staff of the University as well as French speaking members of the Tuscaloosa community,” said Melissa Henderson, director of the French House.

Henderson said she and co-director Alfred Hamilton have decorated the French house with streamers, French royalty symbols, a French flag and even a Mardi Gras cut-out girl. Henderson said the event will even feature Cajun dancing lessons from Michael Picone, professor of French and linguistics.

The event will also include awards for attendees with the most creative costume and mask. A selection of Cajun cuisine including gumbo, red beans and rice, and king cake will be available as well.

“There’s tons of kids looking for a fun way to celebrate Mardi Gras,” Henderson said. “I just love the fact that we have a little French culture here in Alabama, and I love anything Cajun. We’re basically trying to create a New Orleans in Tuscaloosa for Mardi Gras.”

Ain’t Misbehavin’ to take audience back to Harlem

[Opinion] A discussion on the future of fraternity rush at Alabama

[Letter to the Editor] UA gymnastics coach Sarah Patterson: Student supporters of team are champions