Alabama Greek Missions serve abroad

During the holiday break, Alabama Greek Missions took 13 UA students on a mission trip to Leon, Nicaragua, to volunteer in Trapichito, an isolated village with a population of about 200.

Margaret Coats, former vice president of Alabama Greek Missions, said each morning the group had a day camp program for the 100 kids in the neighborhood; in the afternoons the team would work on a construction project for a family.

“We built a home for a family of six,” Coats said. “The maternal grandparents took care of their daughter’s three kids while the daughter worked in the city to provide for the family.”

Coats said the group of 13 bonded more than any other mission team she’s been on.

“This trip was the best mission trip I’ve ever participated in,” Coats said. “We enjoyed working in the village and playing with the kids, but we also enjoyed getting to visit the nearby volcano and taking a day trip to the beach.”

David Dent, a junior majoring in business management, said the mission trip was a growing experience for everyone that went.

“The trip was an amazing experience allowing us to build relationships with people we would never come across in everyday life,” Dent said. “I would strongly recommend going on a trip like this. I cannot wait to go back and see everyone in Trapichito again.”

Myreete Wolford, marketing director of Alabama Greek Missions, said the future is bright for AGM as the group expands.

“There is always a position available for anyone to get involved in Alabama Greek Missions whether you are going on the trip or not,” Wolford said. “The more we go, the more houses we plan to build, and soon we will be able to bring Greek Row to Trapichito.”

Wolford said AGM would be doing a lot of fundraising to get the UA community involved it the process.

“In the future we also hope to hold AGM spring retreat weekends for AGM members to get out of Tuscaloosa to relax and think,” Wolford said. “We will also be doing toy donations before Christmas and an Angel Tree to sponsor a child in Nicaragua.”

Wolford said AGM is even looking into making its trip next year involve a medical mission as well. Registration for the next mission trip will be up on the Alabama Greek Missions website within the next few weeks.