Ticket sales don’t cover cost of SGA RAGE, UA loses $54,650

The Student Government Association’s November RAGE concert resulted in a deficit of $54,650.

However, the SGA was assured by the University that all revenue would go directly to a student scholarship fund.

“The Student Government Association met the goal of providing a concert with acts that entertained and united the student body while raising money for student scholarships,” SGA press secretary Meagan Bryant said in an emailed statement. “SGA was granted a one time programming budget to host a concert to build student scholarship funds, with the commitment all revenues would be allotted to student need-based scholarships.

The concert ultimately raised $24,000 for the scholarship fund, well short of the $100,000 goal Meagan Bryant announced in October. Expenses for the concert totaled approximately $78,650.

Headlining act B.o.B. was paid $60,000 to perform, and opening acts Phony PPL and CBDB were paid $5,700 and $500, respectively.

“Other expenses included production fees paid to Red Mountain Entertainment, facility fees to the city of Tuscaloosa, printing and advertising fees and transportation costs,” UA spokesman Chris Bryant said.

University Relations did not return request for comment regarding who will foot the deficit bill by press time.

Chris Bryant told The Crimson White that more than 2,400 students attended the Nov. 8 concert at the Tuscaloosa Amphitheater. Meagan Bryant stated in October that approximately 7,600 tickets were available exclusively to the UA community.

These tickets were originally priced at $25 for students, who were given the opportunity to purchase two additional guest tickets for $30 each.

After tickets went on sale through myBama on Oct. 18, the SGA reduced ticket prices to $10 for all tickets.