New SGA program accepting used textbooks for student vets

Every semester some student veterans, dependents and survivors have a hard time buying books for class.

Thanks to a new Student Government Association program, “Textbooks for Troops,” students can donate their used books to returning veterans.

“I’m hoping that students will gain a sense of pride in knowing that their donations will go to the well-deserving men and women that have served this great country and now have returned to further their education,” 2nd Lt. Dawit Solomon, director of veteran and military affairs for the SGA, said.

More than 800 University of Alabama student veterans, dependants and survivors claim funds from the G.I. Bill, which offers free tuition for those who attend an in-state public school.

The only complication to the G.I. Bill is that the funds very often do not arrive on time, which forces some to go without books or to pay out of pocket.

“Through Textbooks for Troops, student veterans will be able to spend money on daily living expenses rather than overpriced textbooks,” Meagan Bryant, executive press secretary of SGA, said.

Until Dec. 15, “Textbooks for Troops” will allow students to donate textbooks they no longer need to help ease the burden on some veterans.

SGA, Campus Veterans Association and the Phi Mu Delta fraternity started the program to improve student success by “Serving Those Who Have Served Us.”

Returning to civilian life, especially student life, can be stressful and hard for student veterans and their families, Solomon said.

Organizers claim this program makes the adjustment that much easier.

“Through this program I’m hoping to get the message out that the sacrifice they [student veterans, dependents and survivors] and their families made for our country will never be forgotten,” Solomon said. “And that a The University of Alabama and the student body has their back.”